1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idaho SID

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 13, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just heard on the radio that several members of the Idaho SID department resigned today, leaving the director as the only member of the department. Not sure of the reasons.

But it sounds like Idaho will be hiring ASAP, if anyone is interested. Yes, it's in Idaho, but Moscow is a pretty nice little college town, Idaho has a beautiful campus, Wazzu is only eight miles away and having visited there many times it seemed like a decent place to live.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah … I’d insist on knowing why before I’d consider applying.

Time for some journalism.

SportsGuyBCK likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this a job listing?

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A long time ago, Sports Illustrated did a preseason feature "The Best and Worst of College Football."
    No. 1 in "worst" was Pullman, Wash. The comment said the only redeeming thing about Pullman was that it was 8 miles from Moscow, Idaho, where the legal drinking age was 19. No. 2 in "worst" was Moscow, Idaho.

Personally, I had cousins in Pullman. I was the only Pac-10 beat writer who enjoyed that trip because I got a home-cooked meal. And the University Inn, the hotel we stayed at in Moscow, had $1 drink nights on Fridays. I ordered a beer, it was $1. I asked the barkeep if I could get a pitcher so I didn't have to keep asking for refills. He poured me a pitcher and charged me $1. I told the other writers that we couldn't afford to leave.

5. micropolitan guy

No, just an update of some information I learned earlier today that might be of interest to some on the board.

Liut likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

I always thought Pullman/Moscow was a fun trip. You could land (easy flight from Portland), rent a car, get your bags and be at the University Inn faster than you'd get your baggage at other airports. There was a great Italian restaurant in downtown Moscow, Gambino's, where they served huge beers. And you could access the bike path through the UI campus right across the highway from the U Inn. A simple 10-minute drive over to Wazzu for the game.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My boss always booked the flights from L.A. into Spokane. 75-minute drive. Rolling hills of wheat. The first time I just figured I'd get away from the airport and stop to grab some food. Except there was nothing out there. Spangler, I think, had a small cafe. The gas stations didn't even have snacks.
    My uncle loved my stories. He was a trucker from Vancouver, Wash., and he knew every back road in the area. One time I asked him about those logging trucks that had 3 trailers, how do they control them? He said, they think they can, but they can't. Just never get into a situation where you have to back up.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

One other plus for Moscow: Compared to the rest of North Idaho, it's relatively sane politically. Having a college, and the young people/professors who go with it, helps reduce the California Crazy Conservative move-in factor.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

So, the main SID got burnt out and left to go to the law school. The guy who is in charge is a marketing guy who has admitted to my reporter just today that he’s overwhelmed. A mass exodus was kind of surprising. But they are looking to hire for sure.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

I'd have been all over this 30 years ago when I was looking for a career change.

"When can you be here?"

"How about tomorrow?"

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because it is our tradition: "YOU'RE HIRED!"

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Just a puddle jumper from Lake Tahoe, too. #Memories.

Draft saved Draft deleted