1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'd say "please shoot Berman" but the bullet would just lodge in all that fat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Oct 30, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think Berman has an orgasm when Indianapolis plays San Diego:

THE COLTS AND THE BOLTS!

Pull the trigger already.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Or smoked a cigar with Jack McKeon...
    Or stood by the Tampa Bay Bucs ship when the guns went off...
    Or made a putt in some golf tournament...
    Or stood in front of the Hotel California sign with Glen Fry...
    Or was at "The Catch" game...

All these images he plays every week during his "2-minute drill."

Ugh.

3. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Classic thread. It really is like a greatest hits of the worst of Stay-Puff.

That WHOOP thing is the absolute worst. That or the commercial where he looks all cool and says "From?" to TJ.

Suckbag.

4. bd11

bd11 Member

If you can stomach Deion, the new NFL Netowrk show is better than Primetime ever was.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Funny story. My girlfriend, who doesn't know Chris Berman from Kris Kristofferson, and I were watching the ESPN highlights when Berman goes into that "WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP."
    After about three times, she yells at the TV, "SHUT UP!"
    That cracked my stuff up.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

As was said earlier, "He always overfuckingexaggerated it. But now it's not original, not amusing and, with the Raiders mired in suckitude, not relevant".

My view is that it is True, Berman always overdid it.....

True moreso is the fact that when he started doing it 20 plus years ago, it was neither original or amusing. I took to telling a friend who likes ESPN but hates Frank DeFord that Berman should give himself a nick. My suggestion Chris (Raymond) Ber (Burr) man.

Berman is not funny anymore. Too full of himself. Gee, Cable TV sports journalist too full of himself.....No shocker there.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was ALMOST amusing when he only did it for guys from Louisville.

Now it's from anyone who hasn't played at an NAIA school and it's not nearly as ALMOST amusing.

Hank Fraley FROM?? "Robert Morris!"
    Marcel Shipp FROM?? "UMass!"
    Marques Colston FROM?? "Hofstra!"
    Matt Leinart FROM?? "USC!!"
    Julius Jones FROM?? "Notre Dame!"

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

(Cue dumb ass, allegedly manly growl)

"The Packers and Lions in an NFC Norris division battle ..."

"The Packers and Bucs in another Bay of Pigs at the Big Sombrero ..."

Shut the fuck up you morbidly obese anachronism! Not only are those dead horses annoying and unfunny, but both descriptions are at least 20 years out of date.

Does anyone under the age 30 even get these things? If memory serves, he began calling the NFC Central (now North) the Norris because they both sucked about equally in the 80s.

I mean, I think that's what it was, it's been so FUCKING LONG since either of those references were applicable. Jesus, didn't the Norris Division die during the last Bush administration?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: I'd say "please shoot Berman" but the bullet would just lodge in all that fa

I believe Berman started calling the then-NFC Central the "Norris division" for a number of different reasons, some of which actually made sense at the time.

For starters, 3 of the 5 NFC Central cities (Detroit, Minny and Chicago, plus GB ... later TB) made up 3 of the 6 teams in the Campbell Conference's Norris Division (Detroit, Minny and Chicago, plus STL/TOR).

Also, the NFC Central rivalries -- Packers/Bears/Lions v. each other, especially Packers v. Bears -- share close similarities in tradition and pedigree and intensity to the NHL's Original Six rivalries. As it happens, three Norris teams (DET/CHI/TOR) were/are Original Sixers.

Of course, the Norris Division became extinct before the 1993-94 NHL season, when it essentially turned into the Central Division. Calling the NFC Central the "Norris" was a nod back to the old days, and I don't have a problem with that at all.

But now that the division is no longer the NFC Central, and now that it's been over a decade since the Norris was in place in the NHL, it's time to fucking give it up.

Now it sounds like he just can't pronounce "NFC North." ::)

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Michael (Hee Hee) Jackson

Rob-b Thomas

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

And why is it called the 2-minute drill, when it lasts ALMOST FIVE FUCKING MINUTES?

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

This morning, I was towling off after my shower at the gym and I heard this voice from the TV, which was obstructed from my view.

At first I thought it was Jiminy Glick, but then I said, oh, ha, ha, a "King of the Hill" rerun is on ... that's Bobby Hill.

Nope. It was CB Leather himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted