1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'd Pay to See The "22's"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Every game in the NFL is filmed in what is called the 22's. You can see all 22 players. It is what the coaches use. It is what they show on "NFL playbook.

For mass audience makes sense to show the closeups but I would much prefer to see all players on field.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agreed. For me, the only benefit left to being at the stadium is seeing all the receivers running their routes. It's a big plus.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is certainly with the networks' technical capabilities to show the 22s on replays. People are so used to what they see on TV in live action, you can't really mess with that.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

When I used to do CFL, it was called the "all 24" camera. (We've got an extra player per team.)

Watched a couple of games from that perspective, and it was tough. Really didn't get as much detail as I'd hoped. Unless you were looking for something in particular, it was hard to pick up -- especially when it came to line play.

5. Michael_ Gee

It would be very helpful on big gain pass plays, which, let's face it, are 90 to 95 percent of the game-deciding plays in NFL games.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thank God, I thought I was being replaced.

7. Boom_70

Coverages schemes are such an important part of NFL it would be nice to see. A good example was last weeks Jets / Pats and how the Jets mixed up what they did. On most plays you could not even see their safeties.

I'm a junkie when it comes to that type of stuff. I would tivo so even if you miss something on first run you can catch it next time around.

NFL playbook shows some great stuff but not enough for me. All the subtles are lost in normal tv production.

8. This is an excellent point. Did they show any glimpses of what the Jets were doing downfield to completely shut down Brady's options? Don't have to do it every play, but that was the story of the game and I remember wanting to see what was happening.

I don't remember getting that chance, but maybe I missed some shots at some point.

9. Michael_ Gee

There were a couple of end zone camera shots of coverage by the Jets, but only when the Pats were getting close to the red zone in the second half.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've noticed a few Fox broadcasts have been using a slightly wider sideline angle. Not the "22s", but it does let you see the receivers a little further downfield than you normally would.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I went to a NE-Miami game a few years back and we were in the last row in the stadium, but it was end zone seating.
    When I go to Foxboro, we use my buddy's tickets - 40 yard line, 10th row.
    His tickets make for a better experience, but the Miami tickets were better for watching the game.

12. Boom_70

I much prefer seating in the end zone to the 50 yard line. You can see plays develop much better. You can see if O line is opening holes . You may not see as well if game is on opposite goal line but you have best seat in house if game is on your side.

Draft saved Draft deleted