1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'd like to order one set of red-and-white pom-pons... Dwarf-size

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, May 9, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Found this gem (as some of the above, on the Interwebs)...

The Red Wings were anywhere from a few hundred to more than 1,500 short of capacity in eight of their nine home playoff games last year. High prices were widely cited as the main reason.

The decline in attendance continued this season as they have sold out only six of 29 home games. In years past, the Red Wings capped season ticket sales at 17,000 and had several thousand more on a waiting list. This year, they were down to 14,000 season tickets and no longer have a waiting list.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Anybody want to claim this gem from the Freep forum?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

For the record, I'd like to say I am not a registered user of the Freep forums under this or any other name (I think. OK, maybe at one time, but I forgot).. .

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It doesn't matter. It's apparent what being a houseboy gets you, in that town, and others.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Slappy,

Here's another reason why maybe they're having trouble selling seats--they're a boring goddamn team, despite stars like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom et al.

Mike Babcock just sucks the life out of hockey.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well maybe if the people of Detroit had someone to wave pompons to get the crowd motivated... oh yeah. Wait.

(And as bad as Albom is, I am quite glad I'm not 750 miles away and can't watch Mr. We've Got Highlights... makes The Dwarf seem objective

7. Funny, but I must have missed those shifts when the Detroit Dwarf was on the ice.

"We." Jeez ...

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't think he does, JR. It may explain why Albom relies on the esoteric.

Six years ago, Albom stereotyped North Carolinians in a column that was published in the Raleigh News & Observer since it and the Freep agreed to exchange columns. Terrible example of trying to get a laugh ... and that piece was a big reason why I was glad to help slam his hand in the cookie jar during the St. Louis debacle.

And Slappy, wonder why Albom was barking for more fans to feed Ilitch's coffers? Professional courtesy. :D

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cloying, fawning, shameless boosterism.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Freep asked for comments on his column -- is he right or is he wrong....

Saw this response today...

Wow Mitch, I know that you are sucessful and famous now, but it's hard for me to elieve you are this far out of touch with us. Times are downright tough right now, not only in Michigan but all over! In years past I always bought tickets for playoff games from my brother-in-law, but this year I can't justify the cost. I have 3 college age kids living at home, they all barely make enough to cover their own expenses. It just cost me $70 to fill up my Colorado! $150 worth of groceries now costs $200. My pay has not kept up, and to be honest the last thing that I am concerned with is shelling out $500 to go see a game that I can see in amazing HD on a "52 screen. Whether or not someone like you thinks we should lose our "Hockeytowm" moniker. Maybe this is important to you, an out of touch, once beloved hometown hero. It is not important to a guy trying to take care of his family....that should always have a higher priority. Come down out of the Mile High clouds and get reacquainted with us pal!

11. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I was just going to post about those comments, Slappy. That particular guy nailed it. Of all the angles Albom could have taken, he calls out Red Wings fans for not filling the place?

What a glaring lack of common sense from such a big-name columnist.

And about the NHL ... isn't it true that tickets in some other cities are similarly overpriced? I seem to remember reading something in the last couple of years about the Pittsburgh Penguins pricing a lot of fans right out of the arena.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Wings are paying now for years of raping the fans.... even tho they are winning and putting out a great product, they've outpriced themselves for an extremely loyal fan base.

Draft saved Draft deleted