1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Icky Thump

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Just picked it up and listening to it now--i'm really into it, even on the first listen. I already like it better than their last album....

sorry if it's already been discussed here, but i highly recommend this album

2. Time magazine absolutely skewered it. Said it was too weird with all these new instruments, etc. So I buy it anyway, thinking I'm going to get late-period Radiohead experimentation.

Instead, it's just balls-to-the-wall rock 'n' roll from front to finish, with a stray bagpipe or mellotron thrown in there without irony.

Their reviewer really misfired on that one.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked it, but there isn't much The White Stripes have done that I didn't like...

I think Rolling Stone gave it 3 1/2 stars...

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The guitar riff in Icky Thump, where have I heard that before?

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I bought it Tuesday, have only listened to it 3 or 4 times all the way through. I LOVE the second song "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You're Told)" and the last song "Efffect and Cause." Saw them on Conan couple of night ago. They sang "Thump" and "Effect and Cause." Very good stuff.
    As far as I'm concerned, the Stripes can do no wrong. Anybody who likes them should pick it up. I don't like it as much as Get Behind Me Satan yet, but it is very, very good.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, it's Time. What did you expect?

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

King Midas (Jack White) strikes again.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Saw yesterday, Apatow is producing (or wrote) a new comedy called Walk Hard and Jack White is supposed to play Elvis Presley in it.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Brilliant stuff ...

10. so far, i think rag and bones is my favorite song on the album--though there are several close contenders...

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hell, I'd spend $10-15 for the "Icky Thump" riff. What an awesome opening track.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

And it's a great name to boot

Draft saved Draft deleted