1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro to the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2012.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Because, to many people in Seattle, Ichiro is still the franchise. Ichiro is what has kept the Mariners relevant. There's a large Japanese and oriental population in Seattle.

I agree with everyone's sentiment that this isn't 2004 Ichiro. That's why I think the damage is short term and won't amount to much. It's not like Seattle was going to win the AL West anyway. If players like Alex Liddi, Kyle Seager and Blake Beavan develop then the Mariners will be more relevant down the road.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Oriental?

Asian.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I looked at the numbers of the two pitchers they got. Both got torched in their first stint in the bigs, but had fairly solid minor careers. Maybe they aren't top prospects, but if they can be serviceable relievers or spot starters, that isn't bad.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I assumed he meant rugs.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eh, I'm not so sure.

They didn't retire his number, but they had a "day" for him in 2001:

Some year, after Yogi and Whitey are gone, they'll bring back Winfield and retire his number.

6. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Don't be too hard on SteveU. That was purely occidental.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is fucking beautiful.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Indeed. Well done, sir.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I happened to snag tickets for this game as I was visiting friends in Seattle and I must say, despite seeming to be more NY fans than Seattle fans, Ichiro received a great applause when he stepped up to the plate.

Side note, Safeco is a pretty nice ballpark, but it was probably 2/3 full for the game. I was thinking a sellout would happen for it.

10. Ichiro always struck me as a guy who would be into manatees.

Or hot Jupiters.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A selfish hitter who can't hit the curveball, anymore.

This should be rich.

12. If you took the Troy McLure scenes from The Simpsons and had Ichiro film them live action and posted them on YouTube - it would break the Internet

Forbidden manatee love

Draft saved Draft deleted