1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro to the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Deserves its own thread.

Kind of sad to see. I know it's sentimental and silly and, in a baseball sense, somewhat irrelevant at this point. News flash: Yankees get .260 hitter! But he's a guy I would have liked to have seen as a one-team career guy.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised the Yankees made this move. Swisher has a higher OPS and the combo of Ibanez/Jones in left has accounted for 24 homers and both guys have a higher OPS. Where does Ichiro fit in?

I love the guy as a player, but I don't really think he adds anything except depth. I'm kind of assuming he wouldn't be happy as a bench player.

I assume this means the Yankees think Brett Gardner is done for the season?

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I had heard last week Gardner is out for the season, bigpern.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good deal for the Mariners. In no way did he figure in their future plans, and unlike Griffey, Ichiro gets a graceful exit and a chance to return to the playoffs and fans will understand.

He's obviously in decline but maybe a change of scenery will help rekindle a fire the bumbling Mariners helped to put out. I think he has a little gas left in the tank and as was said on the other thread, getting out of Safeco will help because he's been a much more productive player on the road than in Safeco.

Safeco is a wonderful stadium that is horrible for any hitter. They are talking about moving the fences in and it can't happen soon enough. Watching the Mariners at home is awful because they just can't score and games there are excruciating to watch.

My favorite player and a Seattle icon.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Godfuckingdammit.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good move for the Yankees as well. Even though he's not the Ichiro of old, he'll give them some speed with Gardner gone. And Swisher's hurt for a few days and there was some concern for how well Ibanez and Jones would hold up physically over the season.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Haha....IJAG has to become a Yankees fan.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wrong. I have to stop being an Ichiro fan.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed with Micropolitan. Had to be a tough decision for Mariners' management, but with or without him, they were still destined for last place in the AL West.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great deal for the Yankees. I will be surprised if Ichiro's average doesn't jump 40 points in Yankee Stadium with those hitters behind him.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yankee Stadium might be the place to put the "Ichiro could be a power hitter if he wanted to" theory to the test.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

BREAKING NEWS: Boston has traded infielder Nick Punto to the New York Yankees for two minor league players.

Draft saved Draft deleted