1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro and the Hall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Sep 25, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And a double is better than a single. And a home run is better than either.

And most important: An out is worse than any of these things. Ichiro makes outs at too high a rate to be in the "best position player of the decade" discussion.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So you would like to count him out as one of the Top 5 offensive players. I'm OK with that.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rick, can you not just enjoy the game? Not to pick a fight but why must everything about baseball be a statistical debate?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What five position players for the past 10 years would you rank over Ichiro?

Albert
    A-Rod
    Who else?

5. RickStain

Bonds
    Helton
    Manny Ramirez
    The always-underrated Lance Berkman
    Chipper
    Thome
    Abreu
    Jeter
    Vlad

A lot of other guys who I'd say are borderline because they either didn't play the whole 2000s (Mauer) or they were only great for half of them (Giambi).

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Ooh, Jim Thome?? Not so sure about that one, unless you're just looking at power numbers.

Ichiro is a complete player whose unique swing and ability to get hits is worth buying a ticket and having to endure the rest of the Mariners lineup.

Plus he's had some great throws to gun down those runners still foolish enough to run on him.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bobby Abreu?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rick is going to break his sliderule arguing that one, though I can see where he is going with it. I don't agree with him at all, but I can imagine his argument.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think he's in. Not first ballot, but he's in.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

In where? I know you don't mean the hall of fame.

11. RickStain

Abreu was very, very underrated for the first half of the decade.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Ichiro is not a HOFer. Guy is just a punch-and-judy glove man. I bet if Dexter Fowler decided that he was going to just slap the ball in play wherever it's pitched that he could get 200 hits a year, too ... all of them singles.

I don't care how many hits Ichiro has, the idea of the game is to create runs, which means sometimes you need to draw a walk and sometimes you need to hit a homer.

And all that Japan stuff doesn't count. Right now the guy doesn't even have as many real hits as Gary Gaetti or BJ Surhoff.

I also don't like that he refuses to speak English, even though he can. I think he's selfish about shunning the media, forcing his teammates to answer for him.

And what's his team won? Nothing. They went to the playoffs one time in his career, and they wasted a 116 win season without even getting to the World Series.

Ah, can't do it. I tried to make this a debate, but I can't....

I've got a HOF vote, and Ichiro is first-ballot. No question.

Draft saved Draft deleted