1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro and the Hall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Sep 25, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Re: The most overlooked athlete I have ever seen...

I firmly believe that Ichiro could hit 30 home runs a season if he wanted to but he'd have to settle for about a BA in the .270 range and isn't willing to do that.

He's averaged more than 220 hits a season in 10 years. His hand-eye coordination is unbelievable. And he's hit enough homers with that "singles swing" that there just can't be any doubt that he could hit for power.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is a completely unnecessary thread. A) There's already an Ichiro thread on page 1 where this question should've been posed; B) There is no debate on this question, Ichiro is an absolute lock.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

He should be in. Whether he gets his 3,000 in the MLB or not.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe it should have been on baseball running thread.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But without a separate thread, how to carry on an imaginary debate with an imaginary colleague?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm with Old Tony on this one. What possible argument is there for keeping him out? 200 hits 10 straight years and a .331 career average isn't good enough?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

He doesn't walk enough for a leadoff hitter [/rickstain]

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Easily a Hall of Famer. Doesn't even need 3,000 hits to get there. No question about it.

Not even close to the player Albert Pujols is, though. That stuff about Suzuki being a better "batsman" is ridiculous. Hell, Pujols actually has a slightly higher career batting average (.3314 to .3313) than Suzuki. Of course, the on-base percentage isn't close (.426 to .376) and Pujols has a slugging percentage that is nearly 200 points higher (.625 to .430).

Suzuki is obviously a better defensive player, but it's not like Pujols can't play in the field. Suzuki's glove doesn't come close to making up for how much better Pujols is with the bat.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He's currently 27th among active players in terms of getting on base.

I'd definitely put him in the HOF, but he'd be behind a lot of people who this board consider borderline cases.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Pujols has Ichiro in power, which is not to be underestimated. But Ichiro is the superior player at all other aspects of the game -- baserunning, fielding, throwing, etc. There's no question Ichiro's a HOF-caliber player.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many active players right now are bigger locks? Pujols? I'm not even sure I would say A-Roid is more of a lock, even though I know he'll get in.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He has him in more than just power offensively. He matches Suzuki's strength, batting average, and blows him away in terms of getting on base. Sure, a great deal of that is pitchers avoiding him. But it is also the willingness to take a walk, something that has always limited Suzuki.

And that gap in power is massive.

Draft saved Draft deleted