1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ichiro 4000 Hits RT

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I heard you had loaded dice.

2. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

MankyJimmy has changed his profile picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

... while playing three games a day during barnstorming tours, in games and leagues that had sketchy statkeeping. I think he hit at least 500 of those home runs at least 700 feet, too. The other 400 went more than 800 feet apiece -- except for one that he legged out for an inside-the-park homer before the line drive even hit the ground.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, it was just me loaded.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The 4000 hits is BS, but it's amazing he didn't play in an MLB game until he was 27 and still has 2,715 hits.

I don't think he's going to make 3,000. The Yankees might give him another year, he's still an effective player and better (I think) that Gardner, but that will only get him to the high 2800s.

Maybe someone will give him a shot at 41 to get those final 100 hits but I'm not sure if he'd be willing to hang around just to get that milestone. He should have come over a year or two earlier.

He's already a HOFer, even without 3K.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What are you talking about? It's not even close. Brett Gardner is one of the best defensive outfielders in the majors, plays center field, has a 27-point advantage in on-base percentage and a 39-point advantage in slugging percentage and is a decade younger.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He'll definitely play next year, since the contract he signed is for 6.5 million, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does a final year back in Seattle to take get 3,000. If you get that close it's worth going for it and even at his diminished level this season, he will get there in 2015 barring injury.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's also in the greatest shape of any human on Earth.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did you see who was fourth on that list, with 4,093 hits (3,356 in the minors)? The guy whose name is completely appropriate to this discussion (almost seems like it was made up for this discussion) ... Jigger Statz.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's better than the "See A-Rod before he's suspended" campaign. :D

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And just had 2 GW hits, including a homer, against the Tigers. Gardner is the last guy the Yanks need to worry about right now.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ichiro was a first ballot HOF lock years ago...

Draft saved Draft deleted