1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Icelandic government: Your daughter's name is against our 'rules'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A 15-year-old girl is suing Iceland because it will not allow her to use her given name, Blaer. The name is not on the "Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/03/state-approved-names-only-please-icelandic-girl-suing-government-over-right-to-use-her-name/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This thread could go real bad real quick.

Dakota and Montana say hi.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

High school sports writers all over America are lobbying Congress to pass a similar law so they'll always know how to spell Brittany, Lindsay, Ashley, etc.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think this is uncommon.

I remember recently reading about an EU country - perhaps France or even the UK - having to approve names. I can't recall the context, though I'll try.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I would sign any petition that mandates one spelling of the name Kaitlyn

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Most of you parents who visit this board probably have given horrible names to your kids. I hope you realize that.

We need someone to develop a list of acceptable names for this country, too. That's a wonderful idea.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think it's an interesting article. Iceland isn't the only country that has such rules. Islam has certain name parameters, too; not sure about other ethnic/religious/other groups.

And God knows I would have LOVED it if someone had vetoed my mom on my given name, which she made up.

Unless I missed it, the article didn't address is why this is coming up now, at age 15. I would have been more interested in knowing that.

Odd to have two almost identical photos in the story. I thought the same photo had been duplicated on accident but then realized one has a dark background and another light.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Also, Blaer's mom is pretty hot.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Germany. Comes up a lot because of the U.S. military presence there. Among other things, they won't let you give a name that is customarily for girls to a boy and vice versa.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, the story did address that, sort of.

Blaer is identified as “Stulka” — or “girl” — on all her official documents, which has led to years of frustration as she has had to explain the whole story at the bank, renewing her passport and dealing with the country’s bureaucracy.

Her mother is hoping that will change with her suit, the first time someone has challenged a names committee decision in court.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Haha. I wouldn't peg you for a horrible-name-idea kinda guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If we ban horrible name ideas, then only high school athletes will have horrible names

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted