1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice Road Truckers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chubster, Aug 19, 2007.

1. chubster

chubster Member

Any of you see this show on the History Channel?
    Basically, these truckers cross over 350 miles of frozen lakes in Canada to deliver mining equipment weighing up to 30 tons a haul to the De Beers mining camp near the Arctic Circle.
    The dangers are obvious: being stranded in 40 below weather, white outs, rolling in a ditch of snow, and most of all falling through the friggin' ice in you big rig. Oh, and your driving shift is abou t12-16 hours at a time, and that's only half way. So you can't sleep!
    All that for about $75K for two months.
    And I thought Deadliest Catch was crazy.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There was a superb feature in Car and Driver about this. Can't find a link ... sorry.

But it helped turn me to the series. Good stuff.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First couple of episodes were fine... second verse, same as the first -- it's dangerous, they crash... they live.

4. bueller

bueller Member

When it's 105 outside, there's something to say for watching a show set in minus-30. To butcher a Satchel Paige quote, that show helps you "think cool thoughts."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The wife loves this show. She's been glued to the TV all day watching the marathon.
    I enjoy it, too, even though after six hours I'm starting to talk with a Canadian accent. Know what I'm talkin' aboot?

6. Sam Mills 51

Go back oatside. :)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hey Sam, you're starting to be a bit of a deck ;D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good programme or what, eh? :)

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I watch that show and I think I'm glad I don't live somewhere where it can get to -30.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's OK as long as it's a dry cold. :)

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Dr. J and I love this show. I'm drunk and watching Jeepers Creepers 2 right now, but I DVR'd it so I can watch it when I sober up.

12. Sam Mills 51

Eh? It's oatstanding. :) The centre of my current programming.

Sounds like I'm talking to the hockey team again.

Draft saved Draft deleted