1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice, ice baby

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

She's been perfectly nice to me. I think this falls under an extenuating circumstances umbrella. But yeah, it's one of those, "if we're going to be miserable, let's all be miserable together!"

Oh, and to add onto my original post: "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith is officially my ice storm song. It was on the battery-powered radio last year when my house was without power for 5 days, but it was on our radio tonight! I about busted up laughing when it started playing.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

KU, which I have no clue if your town has that company or not, said it could be days or even weeks (as in two) before power is fully restored.

And the last fucking time I saw a utility truck in my city was Tuesday night when the power first went out. There are lines down everywhere, but no one to work on them.

And like I said earlier, most of my town has power. There are three houses on my street, not even a mile away from my aunt's house, that don't have power. Hell, there's a house not even a tenth of a mile up my road that has power.

But, at least my aunt and a lot of people I know still have power, so it ain't like I don't have anywhere to go.

3. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

KY, utility companies are saying part of the problem is that the ice needs to start melting off the power lines and trees before they can really restore power. They said if they restore it now with the ice everywhere, it runs the risk of going out again and then it costs twice as much to fix.

I haven't found out a lot of new information other than people are still without power and finding shelter with family members or at the shelters run by red cross and the likes.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Haven't had power for a 2 days now. Also got walloped by Ike back in September; lost it for several days then.

It is cold here, and the forecasters are optimistic it may get to 38 on Saturday.

Mother Nature can choke on it.

5. KYSportsWriter

We're forecast for highs of 43 on Saturday and 52 Sunday, so hopefully some of that shit will start to melt soon.

spup, it didn't take them too long to get power back on in the city where I work and the amount of people without power here is far greater than my hometown. I don't know how they restored power that quickly with all the ice on the lines.

6. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I'm just passing along what I was told. I may call down there again today and see if I get some more updates. It sucks having to cover something when you are far away and got hit by it yourself.

7. KYSportsWriter

Oh, I know you were just passing along info. Didn't mean to make that sound like I was jumping down your throat or anything, and I apologize if came it across that way.

Just wondering, but why are you having to cover this when you're so far away from it?

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I just took a job covering natural disasters. If it outs me, oh well. I also cover faith-based response to those disasters, so basically, I write a story about the disaster itself and then normally, I'd be on the ground quickly to write stories about what churches and other organizations are doing to help people after the disaster. There are other long-term recovery stories that I do as well. Working on one about a build in New Orleans this spring and one about flood rebuilding in Iowa. Just finished a story that talks about organizations in California still working on helping people rebuild homes from wildfires last year and in 2007.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Well, I came back today and I was all ready to load up a few days' worth of clothes and the cat and go check into a motel (the parents offered to pay for it). I walk in the door and was like..."What's that noise??? OMG THE HEATER!!!! THE CABLE BOX IS ON!!!" And called everyone I knew.

The first thing I did was took a loooooooong bath and then hopped in my bed for a nap. I almost slept longer during that nap that I did last night.

We have no power at work so I drove almost an hour to London this morning and put the sports pages out for tomorrow (but the news people don't understand the abysmal thing of putting together a page more than 24 hours before the paper sees the people so I had no scores and had to go with Australian Open coverage from yesterday) and we're going to do it until we get power back at our place.

Joy. I now get to go write two stories for Saturday's paper.

I'm not even going to get into all of the drama with da boss and his wife. Oy.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why not?

11. KYSportsWriter

Are they paying mileage? That's gotta be what, 60 miles one way.

Glad your power came back on. We're still waiting about two hours southwest from you.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Still waiting here, as well. No power for 3 days. Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted