1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice, ice baby

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 27, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We got some sweet powder, but hills and mountains aren't round these parts. So I lay on my sled and throw snow in my face.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Bob, glad everyone is okay your way. Heard your area was pretty hard hit last night.

Be safe.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My mom didn't go to work today. They moved out to Garrard County, and their road was impassable at 6 this morning when she would have had to go. My aunt and uncle (who live a couple miles away) moved in last night because their electricity is out. They brought their dog and their fucking pet flying squirrel. Today I find out my other aunt's electricity is out in Nicholasville, so my dad was going to pick her up and she was moving in too.

Hope my parents' doesn't go out or they're all in a shitton of trouble.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Hey, at least they'll all be together.

And ... a flying squirrel, really?

5. [​IMG]

What's the problem, IJAG?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had no idea. I was talking to my mom.

Her: You know Eddie and Bernice are staying here, right?
    Me: I knew they were there last night playing cards because their electricity was out, so sure.
    Her: They brought the dog, the bird and their sugarglider
    Me: What the fuck is a sugarglider?
    Her: it's like a flying squirrel. It's cute.

I just googled it. It's apparently not a flying squirrel, b ut it's a mini-marsupial. and it is cute...but I wouldn't want one in my house with five cats and two dogs and a fucking parrot.

Tebow.

http://www.sugarglider.com/

7. KYSportsWriter

Friend of mine told me Murray State was evacuated today and the school was offering to pay for hotels in Nashville, which is like two hours from Murray, because most of the state is still without power.

News said a thousand-plus electric workers were coming to help get everything back up and running.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Every time I've ever gone to Murray, I wanted to be evacuated too.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Power went out at 6 a.m. Wednesday. Trees and power lines were snapping like crazy under the weight of 1.5 inch ice. More than 200,000 people in Louisville are without power. Fortunately, my in-laws have power and we're able to remain warm.

Media reports indicate it could take up to 10 days to restore power. It would be the second time in less than six months that my house has had the power knocked out for an entire week.

10. KYSportsWriter

Ten days? Damn.

Last time was the wind storm, right?

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm having a FANTASTIC time right now.

Do you detect a hint of sarcasm? I thought I left this ice storm shit behind when I left Kansas. Apparently not.

I lost power around 4 p.m. Tuesday to my apartment. We still had juice at work so we go, power surges, server crashes, AP wire fucked up and all and put together a section that never saw the light of day because after 2 a.m., they lost power there.

I live on a main road in my town that has plenty of restaurants and businesses and it was ALL without juice last night. I've never experienced dark like that. I couldn't see my cat laying next to my head on the pillow.

Today was all about staying warm, which is hard when you don't have power and no one else that you know does either. The boss ended up pulling out a portable propane heater, so I'm crashing at his house.

The worst part of power outages? The fucking silence. Silence is only golden when you have the capability to make it go away.

AT&T has been a mess for me - I can't make calls but I can receive them. I found it takes almost no battery power to text, so I've been doing that the last 2 days to stay in touch with people.

The best part? The cable company wouldn't give an estimate to when we would be back on fully in my apartment complex. Fucking fabulous.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What does his wife think?

Sorry. It had to be done. Hopefully things get better for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted