1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice, ice, baby in the midwest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Dec 11, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pretty nasty crap we're having here in the heartland. My tree in the backyard is snapping limbs by the minute. It's like a fireworks show outside without the pretty colors. Every other second, limbs are snapping off and falling into the street.

I've been fortunate not have lost power, but I hear the city of Manhattan, Kan., is 100 percent sans power. I have an aunt and uncle who live in Tulsa and are displaced in Oklahoma City right now because Tulsa also was zapped. And with cold temps on the horizon, it could be awhile before these folks get power back.

If you're in this shitty weather, be careful and stay warm. And don't let your pets around any trees. Our pooch came in from a piss break, and about 30 seconds later, a fourth of our tree snapped off. Would have killed the little pooch.
  2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Talked about this earlier w/ a friend of mine. She told me all the schools in Columbia, Mo., were cancelled. When I told her it was 75 where I lived today, she just laughed and then told me how crappy it was going to be for me when I move to the Midwest next month.
  3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I wise we could trade some of the cold you're getting for some of the warmth we have.

It's freakin' December, and I'm having to use air conditioning.
  4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

That tree has no idea how close it came to getting 23 months.
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just talked to my sister in Iowa. All of her kids are home from school and they can't go outside.

Funny thing, she couldn't talk long for some reason...
  6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

We've been lucky here in our little corner of Iowa. Just rain all day, maybe a little bit of freezing rain here in a little while, but hopefully not enough to knock out power.

Lots of counties around us got hit pretty hard by ice. We were lucky, again.

Every winter storm, it seems, passes by us to the north or the south. One of these days I think the luck runs out.

Oh, and my entire prep schedule is wiped out for tonight. Which means I'm filling all five pages with wire.
  7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Here in what we call "The Golden Circle" which is Central Iowa, the freezing rain got started around 10pm last night and then it switched to snow around 9:30 this morning. My office have had the power go out twice, but thankfully the backup generators kicked in within 10 seconds.

I haven't stepped outside since arriving for work. I knew that the prep games would be canned tonight, so I'll have resort to listening to Siciliano on FSR and reading all of the post here on the board tonight. Yeah!!
  8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

On the drive to work, trees everywhere were broken. Big trees split right in the middle. A good chunk of this city is without power. The temperature is dropping and it's gonna freeze tonight, complete with some snow. And just think ... two weeks ago today it was 75 here.
  9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We had that stuff last year, en masse. Never knocked out my power, but it did a number on all sorts of stuff around here. The only good part (because I'm a perpetual 7-year old) was knocking the ice off the staircase railings in front of the building and chucking it at the empty lot, just to hear the ice shatter.

It's not fun, and it's extremely dangerous. Ice storms, that is. To all those who are entombed, stay safe.
  10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a first-hand report from Manhattan that all the power is out, there.
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did you talk to this guy?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nah. A close buddy's from there and his parents relayed the report.

So, I guess that'd make it a second-hand report, though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted