1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice age coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, since the chart doesn't back up what I think, I'll dismiss it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. You have been reading about the problems with pollution in Beijing and how they'll affect Olympic athletes' preparations, correct?

And you do know the U.S. has the world's biggest economy, correct?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I started that thread, LB. And while the U.S. has the world's biggest economy, why does that mean it automatically has to be the world's largest polluter?

4. Yes, you started the thread that bitched about the U.S. Olympic delegation bringing its own food supply. As if no other country is doing it. And if there was no legitimate concern about the quality of Chinese food.

As far as the pollution aspect is concerned, you're correct about that assertion. But it wouldn't be outlandish to think the world's biggest economy also has side effects.

I agree with A_QB. Setting an example for China and India isn't going to change what they're going to do.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, if you paid any attention, you'll note I started the thread about the levels of pollution in Beijing being a concern.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/50445/

And if you're not going to set an example, along with the EU, then how are you going to have the ability to pressure them politically to follow your collective example.

6. Sorry, trying to remember who authored three-month-old threads isn't my specialty.

So you're saying the pollution problem in China would abate if the U.S. curtailed its pollution? Is the air as bad in New York or L.A. or Chicago as it is in Beijing or Shanghai?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Tell you what, when China, India, Mexico, etc., bring their industries up to current US anti-pollution standards then we can talk about how this country can continue to lead the way on curtailing pollution.

I'm not going to dismiss the science that shows the planet is getting warmer. And I'm certainly not going to dismiss evidence of glaciers shrinking when it can be seen by the naked eye.

However, I don't agree that the warming is entirely man-made and I certainly don't believe for one second that the biggest culprit is the United States.

8. Pardon me while I stand and applaud.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How about looking up the thread in question before making a fool of yourself?

And you cannot expect other countries to do what you say when you do nothing of the sort yourself. That way you can team up with the EU to put pressure on China and India to get them to lower their levels, using your own cutbacks as an example of how you are trying to achieve the same goals. If you wait for them to do it without doing anything yourself, all you get is nothing happening.

Everyone sits around waiting for someone to make the first move. The U.S. needs to be proactive in this, not reactive.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Again. Increased water condensation in the atmospehere due to ice cap meltage and lakes not freezing thanks to higher base temperatures. It's happening everywhere.

Way to delete Stoney.

11. SigR

SigR Member

Q. What is the easiest way to exert control over a mass of people?

A. Make them fear something, then promise that you can protect them.

__

It isn't completely honest to say that there is a consensus on Global Warming. Yes, scientists acknowledge that global temps have risen. But that's as far as the consensus extends. There is *no* consensus on why the temps have risen, and there is *no* consensus on what will happen in the future. Most importantly, there is *no* consensus among scientists on whether we ought to "do anything" about it.

The only proper position at this point, as far as I can tell, is to say "We need more scientific -- not political -- inquiry into the matter" and to not defend any position with *religious fervor and faith*.

Very bad things could happen if global warming spirals out of control. Very bad things could also happen if we react to this unknown threat by using political means to deny economic growth throughout the world.

Stop being sheeple. Stop following the herd. Stop letting yourself be duped by politicians. There is *no* consensus on the implications of global warming.

And specifically related to this thread: Global Warming is not something you can defend or deny with short-term weather observations. So stop trying.

12. sig --
    Almost everything you said is incorrect.
    There is a consensus on global climate change, and it's manmade causes, among all the scientists who study such phenomena.

Draft saved Draft deleted