1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice age coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Let's be real here. Modern temperature records don't exactly go back too far. Neither do satellites. We don't know what the cap looked like in 1300, or 1300 BC. Was there a hundred-year warming trend there? Possibly.

Again, if we want to conserve, I'm cool with it, but we do it as a world. I'd like to keep my job in America.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'd like to do it as a world too, Yawn. Unfortunately, Dubya doesn't think the same way.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation: Yawn is going to stick his head in the sand and ignore science and reason because he doesn't like Al Gore.

4. jboy

jboy Guest

It was in the 70s yesterday before a front came through. After the rain cleared, temperatures dropped into the 40s.

So, that means global warming existed yesterday, but not today. Got it.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I refer Jboy to Football Bat's previous response.

A lot of the snow cover in the north of America and Canada is occuring because the lakes that would ordinarily freeze are not due to higher base temperatures, and as a result more water vapor is occuring in the atmosphere. The same thing is happening thanks to the melting glaciers Flash referred to.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh, but the Chinese and Indians?

7. If we're going to "do" something about it -- and although I think it's happening, I don't think man has much to do with it -- then the Chinese and Indians have to do it, too.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

But Lyman, it's all Bush's fault. You know the song...

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If he had actually gone ahead and got on board with the Kyoto agreement, then progress could have been made. As soon as he said 'we're not going to sign it', he gave India, China and everyone else who didn't want to do the same an out; 'The U.S. won't sign it, so why should we?'

10. Right again, Yawn.

The reason he didn't sign it is because it didn't hold the Chinese and Indians to the same standards as it held the U.S.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, we're the world's police force, but heaven forbid we take the lead in something that doesn't involve the military. Got ya.

12. While we're at it, please look up what the Senate vote on Kyoto was. It was taken during the Clinton Administration, by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted