1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ian O'Connor to ESPN New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Maybe I'm a humorless, overly defensive Clevelander, but for shits and giggles, I decided to check out the site today to see what people were going nuts about on Twitter.

The LeBron package, complete with him a Knicks uniform, was utterly shameless.

Not sure what else I would expect from the East coast Sports Propaganda Network, though. ESPNothanks.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Re: ESPN New York's slogan

I thought ESPN already had that covered.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Kind of a slap at the NYDN and the NY Post, no? And strange considering for many years Leon was the head of the best coverage of NY sports (according to the commercials that ran during every Yankee game). I'm sure the people he left behind are getting a kick out of that.
    Just a hunch, but Yankee and LeBron-to-the-Knicks stories are going to be over the top.
    (And this isn't a knock on my old boss. I'm fond of Leon and happy for him, and excited to see what he does with the site. I just hope Linda Cohn's love of hockey rubs off a little, and the wooing of LeBron is limited to a few times a week.)

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it was ESPNLeBron.com.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Could there be some kind of deal precluding him from taking Newsies along?

6. CRR19

CRR19 New Member

Three guesses on what the top story on ESPN New York is today...

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/columns/story?page=oconnor/lebron-james/100402

7. Re: ESPN New York's slogan

What do you want them to say? Destroying New York's Newspapers?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Weird. When I go to the site: http://espn.go.com/new-york/

I get a top story about Jeter, a second carousel with Omar Minaya, a third carousel about voting in a census and a fourth about all-time Yankees.

Now, if I go and click on blogs and columns, THEN on Ian O'Connor, I get the column about LeBron. Or if I scan down the page UNDER the headlines and the four carousels, it's there. But calling it the "top story" is a push.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Did you read the stories? O'Connor's was pretty balanced, using the examples of other famous athletes who won big in NYC. And the site had a story by Brian Windhorst of the PD that was probably better than anything anyone has done on the story, on a national level.

10. CRR19

CRR19 New Member

You're right. Let me re-word my post. The O'Connor column isn't on the ESPN New York page. However, on the ESPN front page, the LeBron story is in the main carousel. Probably says more about ESPN in general than ESPN New York specifically, though...

11. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

The LeBron package was the prominent feature on ESPNNewYork.com until about about noon today. And it was a different illustration with LeBron in a Knicks jersey than what appeared on the mothership site.

12. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

do the knicks pay espn.ny, too, if lebron james signs with the knicks?

Draft saved Draft deleted