1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ian O'Connor to ESPN New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. here is synopsis of the piece about the newspaper industry: http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes#/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/150-september-15-2009/synopsis.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKySSeWluQX5CRW2pYUlaayMQIAUmYXOA==

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I saw that - it was on months ago. It was not one of Real Sports' better efforts.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's no secret there will be local sites in each of the major markets by next year. But it will be interesting who is up next. No other cities have been announced.

4. Maybe Philly, or Seattle.

5. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Adam Rubin left the Daily News for ESPN/NY, too. Will continue to cover the Mets for his old boss, Leon Carter.

6. Five

Five New Member

Leon Carter, Ian O'Connor, and Adam Rubin ... the site launches Friday and that's all we've got? C'mon, let's see some more names! :)

7. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I would venture a guess that Andrew Marchand is going to cover the Yankees. He's already in the fold with ESPN and has been covering the Yankees for 1050 AM all spring. He used to work at the Post before joining ESPN.

The only reason I'm guessing that's the way they'll go is b/c they just hired Meredith Marakovits to be the Yankees reporter on 1050 AM, which was Marchand's beat. So, it seems like a pretty fair assumption that he's jumping to .com.

I could, of course, be completely wrong on this.

8. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Jane McManus, formerly of Westchester Journal News, is covering Jets and Giants.

9. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I must say, they've kept many of the hires surprisingly quiet. Wonder why that is.

The WWL's radio affiliate in New York will broadcast its baseball preview show on Friday where they're going to roll out all of the reporters and columnists to talk about the Mets and Yankees.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The L.A. hires were quiet right up until just before the site launched.

11. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Michael Kay, on his show on ESPN Radio in New York, said on Wednesday that Wallace Matthews was leaving his column at Newsday to cover the Yankees for ESPN/NY. Interesting that a guy would give up a columnist position to get back on the beat. Even more interesting b/c his midday show on ESPN Radio with Tom Keegan a few years back was killed.

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Hopefully not a DB, but this GQ story on ESPN's city sites was good, I thought.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201004/espn-expands-to-local-markets?printable=true

Draft saved Draft deleted