1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ian O'Connor to Bergen County Record

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Big Ragu, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Hudson_Hawk

Hudson_Hawk New Member

Ian is a classy, professional journalist. As has been mentioned in previous posts, it seems he didn't fit in with Westchester or Gannett NJ's direction any longer. He should do fine at the Bergen Record.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Jesus will you get your lips off Vince Young's butt. I was far from the only person who thought he'd be a bust, and six weeks ago, he looked like a Pop Warner QB. So he's won a few games. Let's see if he keeps it up.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me get this straight: Rip someone and you are a jealous, bitter hack? Praise someone and you're sucking them off?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I agree with your statement, except the part about "covered a golf event once."
    Make that more than 100 PGA Tour events, and 30 majors. I can get around a pro course and media center, thank you very much.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mr. O'Connor wrote a completely idiotic column two years ago that chastised Davis Love, a class act, for having drunk boob removed from the golf course during the match play finals at La Costa.

He also one of two writers in the world at the 2003 Masters who was totally duped by the "Heywood Jablome" joke by a radio DJ, and ran with that as the guy's name.

6. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

Hondo, get your facts right if you're going to rip someone. Ian wasn't the USA Today writer who fell for that trick. Decorum and an unwillingness to embarrass the writer in question prevents me from listing him here, but it's easy enough to find if you have a search engine.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

To quote the immortal Derrick Coleman:

WHOOP-DE-DAMN-DOO!

And as Mr. Chan -- one of the finest columnists around -- said: Get your facts straight before you start spouting off.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I think some dude in Savannah was the only guy to fall for the "Heywood Jablowme" stunt at The Masters that year.

He wrote a mea culpa a couple days later.

It mighta been funnier than the first one.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is off topic, but anybody seen an example of a writer falling for a Lirpa Sloof reference on April Fool's Day?

I know it happened to a baseball writer in Pennsylvania a few years back (I won't say who), but any others?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some interesting stuff from the Moddy Pipeline:

His total package at Gannett was a little over 200K to start, including perks. But they already had cut many of the perks, including the car service to MSG and other NYC venues.
    Contract was up sometime in '07 and he had been told he would be retained but not on contract and at a substantial pay cut.
    He also was told he would not be traveling to major events like Super Bowl, Final Four etc. anymore and would be expected to be more Rockland/Westchester columnist with less stuff making USA Today.
    He's taking a significant. But he lives in Bergen County and was happy to take a hometown discount to escape Gannett's cutbacks.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Ian's writing, but using a car service for daily travel in NYC is fucking absurd... But, I guess if he could get it, there's no harm in asking for it...

Does anyone remember which paper came after Ian, that prompted the huge Gannett contract to keep him around? I want to say Chicago Tribune, but I'm not sure...

12. Adrian Wojnarowski

Adrian Wojnarowski New Member

As did many other writers in the New York-New Jersey market over the past several years, I walked out of with many sporting venues with Ian O'Connor --- Madison Square Garden, the Meadowlands, baseball stadiums, etc. --- and never once had there been a car service or limo waiting to whisk him home to Jersey.
    I think someone got a hold of some bad info there.

Draft saved Draft deleted