1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IAAF: Prosthetic legs provide less air resistance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 16, 2007.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Colleges haven't used yards for decades. Everything is in meters except the indoor mile.

And 46.56 to 45.95 is a very significant improvement. I wouldn't yet say he's on the verge of qualifying. Still, I'm sure that's why they want to address it now, though the ruling is horseshit. Having no legs in a running event is an advantage? Whatever.

2. KG

KG Active Member

I have a question.

First let me say that I think they are insane for saying he has an advantage and whatnot. But would weight difference from a "live" leg vs. prosthetic make a big difference? I wasn't sure if they made prosthetics weigh close to what a leg would since a light one might make you top-heavy.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/01/14/pistorius.olympics/index.html

Whew! IAAF keeps the Olympics safe from guys with no legs.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I side with the IAAF here. Because of both weight and wind resistance factors, this guy has advantages that potentially make him run faster than he would be on two full legs.

Now, if this was a prosthetic leg that had roughly the same weight, spring/explosiveness and wind resistance as a normal lower leg, then I'm all for him being eligible to race in the Olympics. At that point, it becomes like a replacement ligament or a replaced joint that functions the same way as the old one. Until then, as silly as it sounds, the prosthetic potentially gives him an advantage other runners can't match.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Pistorius has won his appeal, can try to qualify for Beijing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/athletics/7243481.stm

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If that's an advantage, why not make him wear weight like a horse?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If a guy with fake legs can win, more power to him.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This guy agrees:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Somebody just spotted Jeremy Wariner wandering around Waco carrying a machete.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Apparently there will not be a rush of athletes cutting off their legs in order to install prosthetics. Pistorius still not qualified for Olympics:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3483741

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

When he became adopted by Gil?

--

Somewhere, Casey Martin silently weeps.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Along those same lines, I wonder if they'd say an asthmatic would have an advantage because inhalers provide more lung capacity.

Guess not.

Draft saved Draft deleted