1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Dec 6, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow, man.

Any idea what made him snap like that?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My wife and I have been through a similar thing with our dog, who is normally the sweetest, most lovable spaniel mix in the world. I guess we're handling it similar to you - do it to us, it's OK, do it to someone else and it's not - and so far he's just bitten a couple of hands and my mother-in-law's face (and she loves the little fucker, so she was fine with it.) The issue here is that he's territorial, obviously, and that worries me because we're planning on some little Circuses in the not-too-distant future. We don't know how he's going to react when that happens. I mean, shit, my parents' dog when I was born didn't like me, but he never bit me or anything. Obviously, we know that if Ralphie goes after Big Circus IV, then Ralphie's gotta go. Obviously I hope that day never comes. Can't imagine how I'll react if it does.

All of this is a long-winded way to say that this is really shitty, dreunc. I feel for you and your roommate. My best to you, and I hope when the time comes, you and/or him find another dog you love just as much.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow, man. Even if it's the right thing to do, it's never easy putting down a member of the family.

I can't say I've ever been in your position, but I definitely sympathize. I'm sorry I can't say anything more than that. Wish I could.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's awful. Sorry man.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That really sucks, Dre.

The only comfort is that you did the responsible thing.

Sorry, man.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Such an awful situation. I feel for you. My brother had a dog turn aggressive after several years and had to put it down, and it was so sad. Best to you.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's really terrible, dre. I love my dogs, too.

But there is not much you can do with a dog who suddenly bites people in the face. Someone could be seriously, seriously hurt.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

So sorry, Dre. Sometimes knowing you did what had to be done just doesn't help. But you did.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Sad deal, but if a dog bites people in the face -- in the FACE -- the dog has to go.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I'm sorry. You did the right thing! I hope the wounds and the hearts heal very quickly. Lots of prayers headed your way.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Dre, I'm so sorry to hear about this.

Sometimes if a dog's eyesight or hearing suddenly starts to deteriorate, they will react violently when people approach them. I'm not saying this is the case, but it could be. Without these vital senses properly working, they sometimes go into defense mode.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Times two on all counts.

Or if they have a hurt that you don't know about ... which is why my boo snapped at me a couple of weeks ago. But he's all better now.

Draft saved Draft deleted