1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Dec 6, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I don't know what else to do but write right now so I'm just going to jump into the story (and I apologize in advance for the length):

About a month and a half ago my roommate was driving around the area where we live and was pulled over when he made a left as a light just went red. He got pulled over right in front of an animal shelter and while waiting for the cop to come to his car, a dog escaped from the shelter and came to his door and climbed up and started licking him in the face. After getting the ticket he took the dog in and inquired about it. The dog was a mutt that had a lot of shepherd in him. He was a sweetheart who had been given up by a couple that got divorced and neither one of them wanted to take care of him.

So into our home Stevie came. He turned three years old the day we brought him home. He was incredibly well-behaved, never went to the bathroom in our apartment and never chewed anything. By the end of the first day he was part of our home that we couldn't imagine living without and we didn't see any problems with.

Fast forward to last Saturday night. He was lying on the ground and I went to go play with him. As I was coming down to his level and started touching his face, he snapped and bit me in the face right below the eye. It was scary and I probably should have gotten stitches but we took care of the wound well and it's on its way to healing. As for the dog, the bite was so out of character that we decided to keep Stevie around and see how he reacted. He was very deferent to me the last week, like he knew what he did was wrong.

Fast forward again to earlier tonight as some of our friends arrived at our apartment before we were about to go out. These were people Stevie had met numerous times over the past month. Well as the one is playing with him, he snaps again and bites the side of her face. It was up-and-down the side of her face, but luckily the marks were pretty surfacey. She's at the hospital right now, being less stubborn than me and making sure everything is cleaned out properly. My roommate and I still have to live with the fact that we probably should have dealt with the dog last week instead of letting him stay around.

So this time we knew that Stevie had to be dealt with and we called some people and finally found a police-related shelter nearby that could take him. So I just arrived home from taking the dog to the shelter with my roommate (the owner of the dog) and one of our really close friends. Basically everyone we talked with on the phone and in person hinted that it was most likely that Stevie will be euthanized.

So I just took part in a car trip that will probably end in a healthy dog's death. If that wasn't bad enough, Stevie seemed to sense what was going on and cried like I've we've never heard before. Then he stared those big eyes into mine and I just broke down at the shelter. It was just so heartbreaking. My roommate loved that dog with all his heart and he's so incredibly torn up right now. He came home and instantly downed about a half a bottle of wine. I'm drinking beer, but there is no beer strong enough to take away the thoughts of what I was forced to do tonight. This sucks. Thanks for listening. I really just need this year to end, not sure how it could get worse than it's already been.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

sorry to hear this. i had a dog do this once and it isn't fun for anyone involved.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sorry, Dre. This is awful.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

oh, and i think i'm required to say: not even bob jelenic?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A little soon, 'Gola. A little soon.

Dre, my best to you and your roommate. That had to be horrible.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That sucks. I love dogs but I love them too much to ever own one because my lifestyle is not conducive to being an owner who's good for a dog.

But thinking about being close to a dog -- even for a short while -- and then having to put it down is just brutal.

My condolences, dre.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck. That's several levels of suck.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yea, it really was. And as far as being a bad emotional situation, this is only like the 3rd worst of the year. This has been a really bad year.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh trust me, Dre. I know of what you speak.

Has ANYONE, ANYWHERE had a good year?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i won't answer byh's question because i've been blessed, but i feel for you dreunc. you are a good guy and you deserve better.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry brother.... as a dog owner, that's beyond painful...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Michael Phelps had a pretty good one. So did some guy named Obama.

Draft saved Draft deleted