1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would like to start collecting baseball cards again...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 1, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I once had Cubs pitchers Donnie Moore and Lynn McLoughlin call me from a Wrigleyville bar when I was a kid. Top that. :)

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

[​IMG]

Is this the photo? :D

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I said they called me — long distance, no less; I never drank with any major leaguers, nor have I ever stepped foot on the field at any MLB park, as far as you know ... or court records indicate. :D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Then spell it correctly, damn it: Biittner.

The joke in Chicago was "two i's, two t's, no arm."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, hey fuck, i should have known that catchers were known for hitting 73 long balls a year. my bad.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Uh huh. I never said he should hit 73 home runs. On the other hand, you called him a "helluva player," which he clearly wasn't.

He hit a lot of singles, he never drew a walk, he couldn't call a game and he was piss-poor defensively. In his 10 seasons as a regular player, he averaged six HRs per season. Don Drysdale had two seasons where he hit seven.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the guy was a catcher for a majority of his career and has a lifetime .296 batting average. guys who, you know, actually played for the pirates said how important the guy was to the team ... so excuse me while i dismiss your subjective line of bullshit.

taking into account what teams asked from their catchers in the prejuicing era, the guy was a helluva player.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Yeah, the 35-year-old opinions of unnamed ex-teammates are a tremendous line of <b>objective</b> bullshit.

He was a good singles hitter, which is why he had a .297 career average, no OBP and no power numbers. And he was piss-poor defensively, which was a skill a lot of teams asked from their catchers in the pre-juicing era.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

November 5, 1976: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Oakland Athletics for Chuck Tanner and $100,000.

April 4, 1978: Traded by the Oakland Athletics to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Miguel Dilone and Elias Sosa. The Pittsburgh Pirates sent Mike Edwards (April 7, 1978) to the Oakland Athletics to complete the trade.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clemente died many years ago, chief. and to be honest, i'll take his objectivity before yours any fucking day.

and i also, you know, watched him play.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only value I held for baseball cards in my youth was for the season-by-season stats on the back. With Elias and MLB.com, we now can just about break these stats down by any split imaginable.

Draft saved Draft deleted