1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would like to start collecting baseball cards again...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

but I need a suggestion as to what I should be buying.

I do not care if they will be worth nothing in 10 or 20 years.

I want bang for my buck. I do not want seven cards for two bucks because I would like to buy a complete set buy just opening packs. You know, the way if should be.

Any suggestions SportsJournalists.com?

Oh, where can I buy them?

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I still pick up a few packs of the newest Topps base set every year, occaisonally Upper Deck as well.

My main focus of collecting nowadays is very narrow. I hope to have every Topps Mets card ever. Just the base sets, not the Opening Day, Stadium Club, Heritage, etc.

Go to Target & check out the sets that are out. There are some pretty cool ones. (Allen & Ginter, Heritage, etc.)

There are definitely a lot of choices, some more expensive than others. Go to a hobby shop to see some of the pricey ones.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was thinking of doing that with the Steeler Super Bowl teams. I already have a pretty good start from my youth.

If there was a set out there that gave you 20 cards for $2, I would collect it.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm not going to tell you I can make you a millionaire selling an attic full of baseball cards.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I used to buy the complete Topps set each year, but it was always more fun to buy packs.

My little cousin is an avid collector. When he turned 12 I drove him to the mall to get some cards. He made me buy a pack, I must have been 16 or 17. I ended up pulling an autographed Michael Vick RC.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Usually one of the checkout aisles at Target or Wal-Mart is filled with boxes and boxes of trading cards. I usually get my fix once a year by buying a dozen or so packs of football or baseball cards to see which of my fantasy players I get.

7. I thought this thread was going to be Nigerian.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be an April Fools' Day joke.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

As a former collector and someone who still opens packs, and writes for Beckett, here's a brief rundown of some good baseball products:

2009 Upper Deck
    SRP: $5
    Box Price: Roughly $65-75
    Cards per pack: 20
    Packs per box: 16
    Set Size: 500
    Value: Two-three game-worn jersey cards, one autograph per box, several inserts, good rookie selection, GREAT photography
    Drawbacks: Lots of doubles per box (I've opened three and got a ton), jersey/auto value is not high
    MAIN DRAW: Awesome 1989 Ken Griffey Buyback Auto Rookie Card

2009 Topps
    Box Price: Roughly $65-75
    Cards per pack: 10
    Packs per box: 36
    Set Size: 350
    Value:(usually) one jersey and one autograph per box, several inserts, good rookie selection, not many doubles
    Drawbacks: Some of the jerseys are just completely worthless, card design is rather boring, expensive cards are extremely rare
    MAIN DRAW: Good autos, including cut 1/1 signatures, are attatinable, but at nearly impossible odds

That's a basic breakdown of the two main sets that are out now. I would go with Upper Deck, just because each pack tends to have one card that you'll like, whereas Topps has a bunch of duds per box.
    Best place to buy cards now is online, at either Dave and Adams Cardworld or Blowoutcards.com.

Good luck, enjoy and let us know how you do.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is fucking crazy. $75 a box? I could have bought 10 boxes at those prices in 1987. No thank you.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

You're about 30 years too late, 93.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just try to convince some old lady that the little piece of cardboard with the name 'Wagner' on it that has been sitting in her attic for 60 years is more worthless than a piece of lint and that you'll happily dispose it for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted