1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would like feedback from everyone on this...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 22, 2007.

1. I am toying with the idea of having media days sponsored by my paper for the high schools. The high school teams would get together at one centralized location, and we'd knock out pictures and interviews.
    what does everyone think? Good idea or is this something to stay away from??

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Usually teams call media days not the other way around, but if you can get the teams to participate -- maybe spring for pizza or something -- it sounds like it may save some time. Be a great way to get mugs of everyone.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

We always do mugs and team photos at the same time the teams have team photo days set up with the professional photographer.

I have heard of media days, though, and it has worked.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you have 31 teams like we have, it's not feasible. It's better to do them in twosies and threesies over 3 weeks.

5. I cover prep basketball in a county thats part of a 6 county district/region at the Class AAA level.

The paper in one of those counties has circulation in all 6 of those counties (and this area also includes several more high schools who are not in the big District in the area). That paper did a basketball media day this year, where they invited all of the teams in the area from Class A to AAA.

All of the coaches showed up and brought 2-3 players and they had sort of a stage set-up like a major presser and each team had about 15-20 minutes on the stage.

Now while I focus on only one school, this was a great benefit to learn of the other teams, find storylines, and a good way for each team to get exposure.

I hope the same event is being planned for football this year.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Depends on how many high schools you're talking about here.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Everyone? there are like 6,000 members here. You want that much feedback?

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm holding my advice until we hit 4,027 posts.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think it's a great idea, if feasible.

Attacking it from the other angle, I've been thinking that when we hit our 48 schools for football mugs, we should also arrange to have the school's top three boys' and girls' basketball players, top three wrestlers, top three soccer players, etc., at the school at the same time to shoot them, too.

10. we are talking three high schools here. wasn't looking for the smart ass comments, but rather serious input.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'll answer, but PalmettoStatesport knows me and knows our paper conducts a statewide media day.

It's good for us, because we get a shitload of schools to come and usually many of the state's top prospects. In Palmetto's case, I don't think it's a bad idea. But springing for pizza or something might make the kids want to come.

P.S. You could just have them come to our media day if you want! We're not serving pizza, but we'll only charge you $20 for admission. ;D

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Do it. In our county, the high school coaches got together and came up with their own Media Days. 30+ teams, it works great, generates copy and helps you lay the ground work for the upcoming tab for that sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted