1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I work at a newspaper and I got a raise!!! Oh wait...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You've been teabagged!! By a SOCILIST!!! :eek: :eek:

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In the early 1980s I was working at a paper that was in bad shape financially (it eventually died years after I left). Most of us would go in at noon on paydays to cash the check a block way because we feared the day would come when the checks would bounce. Anyway, I opened the check and saw I got a $20 raise. Overjoyed, I popped my head into the top editor's office and thanked him. He looked at me like I'd told him the building was on fire. "Let me see that!" I was not the only one, he later discovered. Someone in accounting had fucked up. And they deducted it from the next week's check.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ummm, did that with my J-100 class I taught for six years. Repeatedly. Every semester. Every semester, my classes got the inside scoop on what was going on in the business and why it was going on. Warts and all.

And I was the one who pulled the plug on teaching the class, not my chair, who told me I have a job as long as I want one. But between $4.50 a gallon gas, a 240-mile trip between home, Job 1 and Job 2 (teaching), burnout at teaching the same class for 10 straight semesters and a hard time pumping up a profession that is hell-bent on destroying itself, I gave it up last spring.

So the profs worth their title are still speaking truth to power.

4. thatshot

thatshot New Member

I was hoping the withholding would wash the paycut I took this time around, but no such luck.

5. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I got paid today. I'll have to check this out.

(Oh, and my pay is cut does that mean I can work less?)

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Mine went up but about a third of that was wiped out by the company changing to an insurance plan that costs me more.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm sure my office will find a way to take that from me, too.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"God bless us, everyone."

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Have you people not noticed that this has gone on virtuallty every other year since Clinton's second term?
    There were at least three and maybe four reductions in withholding during W's reign of stupidity.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I never noticed because my health insurance premiums went up in tandem.

11. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

Oh man, I sure hope a pay cut means I can work less, because that means I can work 25 percent less starting this month.

12. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Two raises in eight months here ... my heart goes out to you all.

Draft saved Draft deleted