1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wish I had played ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Football.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Box - or indoor - lacrosse is the shit. Talk about violent. JR knows what I'm talking about.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I wish I had stayed with soccer longer than I did...

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

A mean pinball!

I wish they had lacrosse when I was in high school. That would have been so much fun, and a great way to keep in shape for football.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Hockey, although my ankles being about 2" wide, I couldn't skate very well, which killed any aspirations of playing it (plus the fact that you have to have a six-figure income to be able to play, and my folks weren't willing to shell out that kind of $$ on anything regarding me).

Tennis is another game I wish I'd have picked up and played in HS.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lacrosse.

It's the second most popular sport in my neckof the woods (after hockey, of course)

No one played it when I was growing up.

Oh, and just a note of encouragement to those who said they want to play hockey.

Iknow a guy who didn't take up the game until he was 35--didn't even know how to skate.

Now, four years later he's playing twice a week in a men's rec league. You wouldn't mistake him for the Baby Jesus but that's not the point.

He gets awful lot of respect from everyone he plays with because he just decided, "Fuck it, what have I got to lose?"

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

1) Tennis before I was 14
    2) Golf before I was 33
    3) Organized hoops before I was 13

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wish I had played guitar.

I'd love to write music to add to the song lyrics I write.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I partially tore my ACL the summer before high school and finished it off as a junior so I didn't play football in high school.

My hoops team was Illinois Class AA state quarterfinals good, so I stood no chance at making the team. I wish I'd have played in junior high, but I was lazy.

I've considered playing soccer in rec leagues, but I've never played.

I wish I'd had played more golf in college. Never woulda made a D-I team, but ...

I think I would've enjoyed hockey, but like so many others have said, money would've been an issue. Plus the nearest ring was an hour away and my folks wouldn't have done that.

We don't play much field hockey/lacrosse in the Midwest, but I think that woulda been in my wheelhouse.

I've recently considered picking up a guitar ... and not the rock band guitar, with which I'm finishing some easier songs with 90-plus-percent accuracy on expert.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

...any sport, really. I went to a sports day camp where I learned how thoroughly unathletic I am.

I wish I had played basketball, because the counselors at that camp were from a high school girls team -- and most of my high school team was in my homeroom -- so I certainly had enough instruction. I wish I had played ice hockey (or possibly speed skating), because I basically flunked out of figure skating lessons because I only wanted to go fast (and never really learned to stop, so I didn't mind hitting people if necessary). I wish I had played soccer, because I was a mediocre center back at camp and every team needs defenders.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Two I would seriously love to play, at least once.

1. Slamball
    2. Curling

Draft saved Draft deleted