1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I will light you up!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 23, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My pointing it out has grown "stale"?

How about the fact that so many young people who have made poor decisions, that played a role in their death and/or the deaths of others has grown stale?

Marijuana affects decision making. It's a depressant, that doesn't interact well with folks who already suffer from depression, or who are taking medication for mental health issues.

It damages the developing brain of people who begin smoking in their early teens, like Dylan Roof.

Sandra Bland had a "substantial amount of marijuana in her system:

a toxicology report revealed a substantial amount of marijuana in her system at the time of her death.

Apparent voicemail may shed new light in Sandra Bland case - CBS News

You don't think that might have contributed to the decision of a woman who suffered from depression, and had previously attempted suicide, to commit suicide?

Are we supposed to just ignore that fact, because it's "stale"?

2. YankeeFan

It looks like she tried to kill herself as recently as four weeks ago:

Sandra Bland's wrist was covered in 30 cuts that were at least two weeks old and her body contained evidence of a large amount of marijuana in her system, according to an autopsy.
    He also noted that forensics experts found around 30 scabbing cut marks on her arms, which were between two to four weeks old, predating her arrest.
    Preliminary drugs tests also found marijuana in her system.

Diepraam said that unless she took the drug inside her cell, Bland would have had to have ingested a huge amount of the substance, either by swallowing or smoking it, for it to still be in her system three days later.

Sandra Bland's autopsy concludes death by hanging and not murder | Daily Mail Online

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, she was in jail for three days because nobody could raise $500 for bail?

4. YankeeFan

Sounds like it. 10% of $5,000, right?

She wasn't from Texas, so it might have been logistically difficult for her to arrange bail, besides just the fact that raising $500.00 among friends and family might have been tough.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

After she was taken into custody, a deputy at the Waller County jail asked her questions about her medical history. Bland disclosed she once tried to kill herself with pills following a miscarriage. She also reported feeling depressed but denied having suicidal thoughts.

About three hours later, Bland was given a suicide assessment by a jailer. That time, Bland said she was not feeling suicidal and no longer felt depressed. Once again, she reported the previous suicide attempt.

But when the jailer filled out the report, she wrote that Bland had never attempted suicide.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes. Your gotcha thing is stale. Marijuana use in my view is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If you are 30 years old, and neither you nor your family can raise $500 in three days, then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG>

8. YankeeFan

Um, OK. Marijuana leads to problems.

So, we agree on that?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

YF,

I don't have a problem with you pointing out pot use.

So do we know if the officer drinks alcohol?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It can, yes. And to ingest enough to have significant amounts in your system 3 days later is certainly notable. But this whole "Look! See?! I KNEW IT!" deal of yours is grating

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you've nailed it, Dexter.

The problem is people who don't have money.

Otherwise, society benefits greatly by locking up people for not using a turn signal and being cranky to cops.

If Florida would follow suit, we can jail half the state.

Big win!

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder about the good doctor's qualifications.

EDIT: OK I see now he is the assistant DA. So, fuck whatever he says.

How Long Does THC Stay In Your System?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted