1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I will be attending a heart breaking veiwing today and funeral tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 1, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The service was a packed house. The Priest was off his game with a hesitant delivery, but he did say some things to help keep your sanity. He mentioned that God gives life and when that life is worthy of Heaven, He might take the life away. He also mentioned that this was a person without sin, so there is no doubt that the boy is in Heaven at this moment.

The procession of cars down the road probably reached close to 80. I also noticed some cool things people were doing; a few people stopped their cars and waited for the procession to pass. One man even got out of his truck and took off his hat. I thought that was very classy.

Obviously, I will never forget the last 24 hours, but hopefully I can take something positive from this experience. The Priest mentioned that you are given a gift of time from God when you have a child, and that taking advantage of every moment you are given is very important.

Maybe that is what I will take from this. I will also never forget the Priest walking away at the gravesite to his track and just start crying. I have never seen that before.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

93Devil: I feel for you. I covered several funerals like that over the years. It never got any easier. You always think, "There, but for the grace of God, go I." You feel guilty for feeling relieved that it's someone else and not you.

You are definitely on the right track. However small, take some good from it. That usually helps. There's no worse feeling in the world than losing someone and feeling like there was unfinished business... like they died not knowing how you really felt about them.

I lost my fiancee five years ago last month, and I never got to spend enough time with her. Now, I'd give anything for one more day with her.

Here's a little story that helps encapsulate what we all need to do, but often lose in the hustle and bustle of our daily lives:

===============================================================================

Just Five More Minutes
    by: Author Unknown, Source Unknown

While at the park one day, a woman sat down next to a man on a bench near a playground.
    “That’s my son over there,” she said, pointing to a little boy in a red sweater who was gliding down the slide.

“He’s a fine looking boy” the man said. “That’s my daughter on the bike in the white dress.”

Then, looking at his watch, he called to his daughter. “What do you say we go, Melissa?”

Melissa pleaded, “Just five more minutes, Dad. Please? Just five more minutes.”

The man nodded and Melissa continued to ride her bike to her heart’s content. Minutes passed and the father stood and called again to his daughter. “Time to go now?”

Again Melissa pleaded, “Five more minutes, Dad. Just five more minutes.”

The man smiled and said, “OK.”

“My, you certainly are a patient father,” the woman responded.

The man smiled and then said, “Her older brother Tommy was killed by a drunk driver last year while he was riding his bike near here. I never spent much time with Tommy and now I’d give anything for just five more minutes with him. I’ve vowed not to make the same mistake with Melissa.

"She thinks she has five more minutes to ride her bike. The truth is, I get five more minutes to watch her play.”

Life is all about making priorities, what are your priorities?
    Give someone you love 5 more minutes of your time today!

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

beautiful, dave. thanks. :'( :'( :'(

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your posts.

This was an insane event, that I hope to never go through again.

I know it is part of life, but man...

Draft saved Draft deleted