1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I went to the doctor today ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Jun 21, 2007.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

... and found out that I had an ulcer. Not a big surprise, considering that I was hauled to the ER a couple nights ago because my insides were exploding. It was the worst pain I ever felt, my friends -- nothing short of morphine took the edge off. I followed up today with the family doctor, who confirmed the ulcer.

This comes three months after a series of chest pains were diagnosed as stress. The old ticker's fine, but the doc says I need to make better decisions about my health. Eat better, exercise more, and by the way, do you have stress at work?

I've been pretty good lately -- exercising well, eating well. Dropped 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks or so. But there's absolutely nothing I can do about stress on the job. It's there, will always be there. You guys (and gals) know that as well as I.

I love my job and never want to do anything else. Does a time come when we have to decide if it's worth popping pills on a daily basis? ???

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Bean, I hear you on the stress, as do just about everyone else here, I'd bet. But have you tried any specific stress-reduction measures? Classes are one variety - I know it worked for my mom, who was pulling out her hair teaching high school for the first time in about 20 years. There's yoga and stuff like that, little tricks that might just prevent you from going over the edge.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Try to relax, kid.

Just remember, your trip to the doctor wasn't as bad as Kool Moe Dee's ...

"I went to the doctor's office
    and said what have I got?
    He said turn around, boy,
    and take this shot.
    I looked at him like he was crazy,
    and I said What?!
    Ain't nobody stickin' nothin' in my butt!
    He turned and said in a real deep voice
    'have it that way, if that's your choice,
    and I'll put it down if you want me to put it,
    but don't blame me if it turns into a foot
    extended from the middle of your body,
    and the next time you see a cute hottie,
    you won't be able to screw
    the only thing you can do
    is just kick her -- so go take karate.'
    So I turned around and received my injection,
    and said next time I'll use some protection,
    if I see another girl and I get an erection,
    I'm walking in the other direction.

One of the great songs from the 80s.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

Martin, the treadmill works well -- we put one down in the basement and it's worked well to walk for 30 minutes while watching Seinfeld or a Sopranos rerun. I've also taken up gardening -- I've found it fun to weed the flowerbed, take a trimmer to the bushes and spruce everything up. Then I reward myself with a beer on the patio and watch the world go by. I *thought* was I doing just fine, until this kick in the pants.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Liquor

Lots of liquor.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or as the old slogan of Cutty Sark used to be:

"Liquor up front, poker in the rear" ...

Draft saved Draft deleted