1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I watched the space shuttle launch tonight.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Nov 14, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I believe you answered that earlier. ;)

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Touche! ;D

3. KG

KG Active Member

I'm so bummed that I missed the launch. I planned on watching it on the NASA channel, but I was a bit under the weather and apparently unconscious at the time.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

It was a long day, but me, hubby and six year old spent the day at a park along the Indian River in Titusville. Watching that shuttle go up was unlike anything I've witnessed. It rises much slower than you'd think. The exhaust plume took on golden and blush tones in the setting sun. When the ship rolled, it was away from us and with binoculars, we were able to see right up the backside of the ship and the solid rocket boosters. She was visible for a long, long time and so were the SRBs after they separated -- which I saw through the binocs. I highly recommend that anyone do this.

5. A question for any florida natives familiar with this - I saw something after the launch - the smoke plume heading towards the south and a huge cloud a little further down and it looked like they had spotlights on them. I don't know if it was the moon or setting sun reflecting on it or spotlights from the beach area but it was an odd and beautiful site. Anyone know what that is? I was about 2 hours south of the launch and didn't see the actual launch.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Chris, I've seen several of these from about your position, and this was the first one up close.. I've never noticed that gray smoke plume that trailed south.. but I saw it yesterday. Maybe it was because there sky was so clear? There wasn't a cloud around.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Another launch scheduled for 4:39 Sunday morning. It's the last nighttime launch, so I'm excited my bro-in-law scored the car passes to view it from the base tonight.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I used to watch the launches when I lived in Florida and I unfortunately saw the Challenger explosion. It was such a clear day you could see it for hours. I'm going to miss the shuttles. It's the only thing that seems to tie us to any sort of space exploration anymore.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Miss them? Didn't Obama breathe a little life into the program last week?

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I thought they were ending in a year or two.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

There are four more shuttle launches, finishing in June. Then my sister's unemployed. She works for one of the contractors.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hardly. He basically pulled the plug on the manned space program, as a sacrificial lamb for the budget-deficit screechers.

Draft saved Draft deleted