1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I watch America's Got Talent....sigh

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Aug 7, 2007.

?

Which two acts would you eliminate tonight? (Vote for two)

Poll closed Aug 8, 2007.
  1. The Calypso Tumblers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Glamazon Girls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The black male singer

50.0%
  4. The skinny white male singer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The stocky white male singer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Butterscotch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Ventriloquist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The 14-year-old girl singer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Duttons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sideswipe

50.0%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not so good with names sometimes. But I've gotten hooked on this show. I didn't see the show last year, so I can't compare this year's host, Jerry Springer, with last year's, Regis Philbin. Unlike the Idol judging bimbo, AGT's himbo, David Hasselhoff, can do something other than giggle and look clocked. Sharon Osbourne gives very good critiques, doesn't say "It's like this, dog," and doesn't sabotage contestants so that her favorite wins. The token sarcastic Englishman, Piers Morgan, is about the same as Simon Cowell (creator of AGT), but not quite as biting.

The concept is to pit a wide variety of acts, a lot of which would have populated the Ed Sullivan Show and Hollywood Palace in past decades. That said, seven of the 10 still alive are singing acts.

But, I ramble. I would KO the skinny white singer (think his name is Pritchett); he looks like something out of the Nashville bland country machine. And I would KO the Duttons, sending them back to Branson where they belong. Any other watchers? Vote! I anticipate 10 voters before all is said and done. :-\

EDIT: IS THERE A MODERATOR IN THE HOUSE! I screwed up and didn't make it so that people could vote twice. O, why did I ever embark on this?

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I voted! I'm the first! I'm so proud of myself.

I thought Sideswipe was booted last week. If not, they have to go. I've also had enough of the Glamazons. The Duttons are entertaining, but they're not stars. Butterscotch has talent but doesn't know how to apply it. Cas is great, but I've noticed that he doesn't actually play the guitar that much. He might win, but he'll need some lessons before he can fill B.B. King's shoes.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Saw the promo for it.

Decided it would suck balls.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Not even Hoff was enough to entice me to watch the show. Anyway, it's up against other shows that I normally watch at that time.

5. HeinekenMan

The show has some interesting acts. If you start watching now, you'll enjoy it. But the judges routinely send through horrid acts, performers so bad that the show's producers should run and hide. They had a cross-dresser who went by Shakira and danced badly. He had a gut and did a lot of belly-dancing. It made me want to gouge out my eyes, and yet Shakira surived at least three different cuts. There was also some guy who did nothing but goofy dances that you might expect someone to do at home in front of the bedroom mirror in underwear. He was the season's Sanjaya. But the remaining acts aren't bad. They do some amazing stuff.

6. Mira

Mira Member

I was on vacation in England in early June and watched Britain's Got Talent. It was a spectacular show. Tried to watch the American version and thought it stunk. The British version had a faster pace and was edited with more care.

Simon Cowell was one of the judges and he didn't come off as being as much of a jerk as he does on American Idol.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

HOW DARE YOU TALK TRASH ABOUT BOY SHAKIRA/BRITNEY AND KASHIF! Kashif was amazing. How dare you.

That being said, I don't like the skinny white singer or the black singer. I haven't liked the black guy since his first tryout, and the top 10 was the first time I've seen the skinny white singer perform.

8. Cansportschick

See America's Got Talent goes up against Canadian Idol, The Best Years and Big Brother so those three shows give way.

If I ever meet Hoff, I so want to say "Don't Hassle the Hoff"

9. HeinekenMan

The country singer is fine, but those people are a dime a dozen. The black fella can sing, but he doesn't have the ability to hold a note or belt one out.

The Calypso Tumbers are excellent, but I think they should shy away from doing things that might seem almost grotesque, such as putting your legs behind your head. There's a fine line between headline entertainer and freak show. My money is on Cas. He'll be in the final few. The ventriloquist continues to amaze me, but I'm not sure he has a legitimate shot to win. Perhaps he could win if he ditched the puppet.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love the 14-year-old girl and Butterscotch. They're my favorites.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My apologies for being a paradigm of fail and not setting it up to allow for two votes. And my plea to the moderators apparently went unheeded. Then again, I wouldn't expect any of them to click on a thread about America's Got Talent.

Anyhoo, I think it will be the Calypso Tumblers or the ventriloquist going against one of the singing acts in the final. Love the Glamazons, but they probably won't make it through the next elimination.

12. Cansportschick

One of the people that auditioned for the show (Lukas-the kid who has the disability) is preforming at the International BUsker Festival in Halifax for the next week to 10 days.

Draft saved Draft deleted