1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Was Wrong Ever to Leave You, Bar Soap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 13, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I endorse this thread! Honest to God, a few months back I really wanted a bar of soap after some kind of smelly workday and realized that in my all-female house, bars had finally gone extinct under all the body washes, hand-soap bottles, etc. Found one in our random box of hotel toiletries that hadn't been opened in a few years.

The other option would have been to steal one of the wife's "decorative" soaps from the little dish in the main floor half-bath (and dried with one of the decorative towels), but that would have crossed a line.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Speaking of toiletries - I always wondered about "Secret" being strong enough for a man but made for a woman. Is it just the marketing or is there some special formula that makes it more effective for women? And why do we have men's and women's toiletries anyway

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If everybody had stuck to bar soap, we probably would've saved a lot of microbeads from getting into the oceans.

That said, I use body wash. I like Nivea's. It smells good.

(Although I'm pissed off they discontinued their alcohol-based aftershave balm. It was the best smelling product and was insanely cheap. I had women ask me over and over what cologne I wore and were shocked to learn it was just Nivea aftershave lotion. It was like a secret weapon. They went to a new formula without alcohol and discontinued the old style. It's greasy and it pales in comparison smell-wise. So I bought a case of the old style online so I'd have for years to come. I hope balm can't go bad. Can balm go bad?)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

A hush goes over the message board as we contemplate what that would've meant for you.

2muchcoffeeman, jlee and playthrough like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Never touch those. Never.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. DanOregon

The most complemented scent I've ever worn was AFTA or Gillette aftershave balm. Weird.
    Big fan of Edge Gel for shaving - I've tried that shave butter that Dollar Shave Club markets and it's kind of bogus. Harry's is the better deal anyway, but I like DSC's shave handle better. The razors are pretty much a push.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Same here. I stopped paying for cologne because I had more luck with a balm that cost $5. Which worked out for me because I hate wearing and paying the price for frou-frou cologne anyways.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My wife drinks one cup in the morning, and occasionally one after dinner. I'll drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon pretty regularly, but those often get made at work when I go into the office. I try to get up and get out after waking up.
    So it's four cups a day, max, spread out throughout the day. And more often only two or three cups. The cup at a time approach with the Keurig works a lot better than making a full or half pot each time one of us wants some coffee.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Marketing is weird sometimes. Like when Dr Pepper Ten was advertised as a drink for men.

Dr. Pepper Wants Men To Drink Its Low-Cal Soda So Badly It Tells Women To Stay Away

10. DanOregon

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I use bar soap in place of gel or "shave butter" to lay down a slick base layer for shaving, but I've been rocking a beard for a couple years now, so I only use it for cleaning up the edges.

For showering, I use body wash in a nylon scrunchy thing I microwave every 3-4 days.

Draft saved Draft deleted