1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was turned down

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Jan 15, 2011.

1. pffft

pffft Member

I am OK with my current position, but at the same time, I have been looking at taking the next step for some time. I'm 24 years old.

So I was in the process of interviewing for a new position that would have been better pay and a much better location. The job itself wasn't exactly what I saw myself doing, but something I think I would still enjoy and the previously mentioned factors made it a position I would be a fool not to take.

Anywho, I had multiple phone conversations regarding this new position and completed assignments that were assigned to see if I could handle the work. I received decent feedback and thought I was showing improvement in my samples (over the course of less than a week).

I was legitimately expecting to receive a job offer when I received the final phone call, but got the news that the company was going with a different candidate. I couldn't muster up anything more than "thanks for letting me know" while on the phone, and was a little pissed once I hung up.

I'm a "keep your chin up" and "it wasn't meant to be" kind of guy and hold out hope that something even better will come along. Is there any advice or any success stories anyone can offer to help me keep that mindset? The position I applied for is continually accepting applications...do I apply again? My thinking is that the worst case scenario is that they say no and I'm in the exact same place as if I didn't apply...any cons?

I have not failed, but rather, I found a way that didn't work. Just trying to think positive because I know I was good enough for the job.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I like you. You should fit in well here.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Happens all the time. Editors don't like telling the truth for some reason. There are ways to give constructive advice as to why someone didn't get a job, especially if they've been strung along for a while.

Other than that, don't know what else to tell you. Either keep trying for a better job, or just keep collecting checks at your present stop.

4. pffft

pffft Member

Thanks, big guy. I am a heavy participant of a few forums and wanted to get involved here a while ago. It's tough to fit in when you're the new guy, so I kind of fell off SportsJournalists.com. Hopefully I'll become a regular.

5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Just be thankful you have a job. -- The Management

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

Sometimes HR requirements really suck. Every place I've been a hiring manager, HR has drilled into us never, ever tell a candidate why he or she didn't get a job, for fears that you're giving the passed-over candidate ammo to file a discrimination lawsuit. Seriously. That's why you get the HR-approved line, "we went with a different candidate who better meets our needs."

The fact that you were in the running for as long as you were shows that they were serious about you and they liked you. But it's impossible for us to know if you finished a close second or if you inadvertently did something in the process to become toxic to them.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion, is to email the hiring manager and thank him or her for their time and say you are truly disappointed that it didn't work out. And ask if there's any skills that you can develop that would make you a stronger candidate in the future. If they don't answer, then don't bother reapplying. But if they do answer, what they say may give you a clue about your prospects down the road.

Good luck!

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm impressed they let you know. I had one employer -- not in media but involving a writing test-- fly me out for an interview as the final candidate and then wound up canceling the position but didn't bother telling me. I called three weeks later and asked about the timeline and got a "Oh, well, we're rethinking the position. Feel free to reapply if we post it again."

Lately, I've been getting the "we'll call you back next week" and a month later, still nothing.

It's part of job hunting, and it's not regulated to journalism.

Hang in there. It's my mantra too.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I get this all the time with my job hunting.

"We're looking to move on this quickly." is one of my favorites.

Yet, several months later, they're still in the process of interviewing.

My wife has had several adventures with job hunting. There was the one where her supposed future boss told her she was hired, and to contact HR, only to have HR say they never heard of her, followed by both the boss and HR going on vacation a week apart, followed by, "We lost the application." followed a few weeks later by, "Oh, we found your application, but we've filled the position."

9. wow, that's pretty messed up Baron.

Anyway, sounds like you understand a few things about how the process goes pffft, and that there are a lot of factors that go into when you get a job or not. Hell, I have gone through times where I sent out resumes for six jobs, got five interviews out of it and four offers. Then, I can send out resumes for a half a year, 20 or so, and not even get a call back. It's just weird.

But I understand that a lot of people are interviewing for those positions. You might have been more qualified, but the other candidate knew someone, you might have been less qualified but got the job because they liked your personality. They may have a question that they need to hear you answer a certain way, or it doesn't matter how the rest of the interview went, you never really know. I thought I nailed my last in-personal interview, but I didn't get a second interview. I was the first peson they called in, which may have played a part, but who knows. I was disappointed, but realistic.

So, as you probably already know, you can't take this personally. Keep your head up and keep working for what you want. Eventually, persistence will pay off for you.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

When I applied for a job where I work now, I was brought in for an interview. A few weeks later, I was told they went with another candidate. I wrote the ME and did exactly what beanpole said, thanked him for his time and asked what I could do to improve my interviewing skills and make myself a more attractive candidate.

Didn't hear back from him ... until months later, when I found out they had a new position. I got that one.

So just send an e-mail, very professional, and that shows interest in improving. Always good to stay in touch with people.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I went months without getting an interview, then I had months where I was getting 1 or 2 a week. I used to get excited about getting an interview, now I've tried staying on more of an even keel. Taking it as it comes.

Several of the interviews I've gone on have had hundreds of applicants, and the interviewers have told me they were interviewing dozens of people. For one position. How they can tell all the people apart, I have no idea.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Who else read the title and thought the punchline was "He didn't go to Jared."?

Draft saved Draft deleted