1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was told today that I'm ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 25, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It'd be easy to say your first mistake was refereeing soccer, where insolence and whining seem to be as much a part of the sport as kicking the ball.

But I won't say that.

Instead I'll say that you shouldn't have taken the high road, and tell the coach that if he had any cojones, he'd have said something during the game when you could ring him up for it.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Oh well ... I jacked up my foot today so it's not looking to good for he and I to get to know each other better.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

First off, the obligatory: Fuck soccer.

Secondly: Fuck jerkoff coaches who don't have the balls to say that shit during the game. Good friend of mine umpires, and pretty much has two rules for the baseball coaches he works with: No swearing so loud that the little kids and women in the stands can hear it, and nothing with "you" or "You're" in front of it.

Everyone gets a warning the first time he deals with them. From then on, it's a quick hook.

He hasn't thrown a soul out of a game in the last four seasons.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Just pretend he said it with a Charles Barkley voice, and it's HIGH-larious.

Seriously, as a coach, the ref jockeyers really, really get under my own skin. There was one guy in our coed 7th-and-8th hoops rec league who constantly rode the refs, so much that every other coach hated him. When his team lost the championship, we all made sure to congratulate the winning coach for sticking it to that jackhole.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, bullhockey. Do we get no credit? We've told you that many times before today!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're an official. You worked a soccer game.
    You do suck.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

BBAM, don't feel bad. I've NEVER been to a soccer game where at least one person didn't say the ref sucked and/or cost them the game.

See, unless EVERY call goes their way, you suck. Girl catches the ball with two hands? How dare you call a handball! Boy runs up to someone and dropkicks them when their back is turned? How dare you call that unsportsmanlike! Team has 26 players on the field? Blow the whistle and you're an asshole.

It's a lose-lose situation. Just take solace in the fact that most of these coaches are failed athletes and are, therefore, bigger losers than you could ever be.

But, yeah, you're a soccer ref so you're terrible. :)

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Next time you officiate one of that coach's games, tell him the jerk store called.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Been working softball for the past few weeks, co-ed church league and stuff. Tomorrow is my first men's league triple-dip. I look forward to the change of pace, if not for the constant bitching and sniping that comes with it.

RB

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Solid! :D

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

BTW, all y'all who said "fuck soccer" or even think it are Dead. To. Me!!!!!

... but BBAM, you're still terrible. :D

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You only cover us when the referee sucks....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted