1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was laid off Friday, now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by New Beginnings, Jun 7, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You're young dude. You're 37. You can do anything in the world that you choose by whatever means you want. Take some time to yourself, decide what you want to do. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone to veterinarian school. I had two passions when I decided in college to choose between: sports and animals. I chose sports.

Figure out what your passions are, then pursue one. It's really not that hard. I'm in my 50s and my sports writing job was eliminated in March. Just like you, there were others around me that did much less work and got paid more, but management saw my job as expendable. Often, it's not about how much you make or how long you've been there. It's about the work you provide and how necessary it really is when the shit hits the fan. Mine was deemed unnecessary. I'm sure yours was too.

I don't understand why you applied for a job and then ignored when they reached out to interview you. That was an opportunity. If you're not interested in certain jobs or certain fields, then don't apply. That's just selfish, disrespectful and wastes their time and your time. Show some maturity. Maybe you needed to prove you could get another job. So, there, you have your proof.

I applied for a new job nine days after my sports writing position was eliminated. I was interviewed three times over a two week period and they followed up a couple weeks after that with numerous tests and such and then offered me the job. I accepted. I am very happy and love the people around me now, the job itself and everything that goes with it. Despite working 30 years in newspaper, I was hired at a salary that already pays me more money than I've ever made. My benefits are so much better they aren't even comparable. And I work mornings/days and have every other weekend off. The longer I work at my new job, the more I realize I was getting fucked really hard in the ass by newspapers and they didn't even bother to use lube.

Quit feeling sorry for yourself. Look at this as an opportunity to become a better person. Quit whining about the boss who doesn't work hard and gets paid well. Nobody cares about that shit. Pick yourself up, have a little pride, show a little confidence. Just like you networked yourself into a good job before, you can do it again.

It's in your hands. Time to be a man again. You'll be fine. Just look for something you want to do and network with the people who can help you do it. As far as sports or newspapers go, now that you're out, I'd stay the fuck out. Those companies really don't give a shit about anyone.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Doc, now is your physical fitness easier? Do you still have to eat the same shit daily or are you staying ripped easier now?

Draft saved Draft deleted