1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was laid off Friday, now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by New Beginnings, Jun 7, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And if possible go get a video tape and a critique of you interviewing. I find interviews more painful than a trip to the dentist. When I videotaped I found I has a habit of crossing my right leg onto my left leg. And then jiggling my right foot. It was distracting to watch on tape.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Try What's Your Plan B group on FB. Lots of good advice and journo-ly complaining, so comfortable for our type.

wicked likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

One thing that really stuck out was your referring to the jobs you went after as "boring garbage." Obvious advice is obvious: Don't go for those jobs.

This. So much this. Being laid off hurts and it's hard to not take it personally.

So, about graduate school... Be sure it's something that grabs you by the balls and frontal lobe. Thesis committee meetings and dissertation defense can be about as much fun as a colonoscopy, even if it's a subject you really love. Be prepared to be around people who will geek out at the minutiae of your field and if you're not feeling it, they will cut you.

I know someone who had to fight the urge to push a fellow student out of a moving car because they'd never heard of Victor Turner and we spent a week going over Turner's taxonomy of ritual gesture for the new shits who had no business in that program at that level. Or so I've heard.

THIS! THIS! THIS!

And good luck.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not certain of the ID of the original poster. I am pretty sure I know (and of course would never say it here) and if I'm right, it is someone who was a friend of mine long before we started at The Athletic.

This person is very bright, talented and an exceptionally hard worker. He will have no problem getting a job somewhere, in this business or in any field he chooses.

That isn't said to lessen his frustration, I totally get that. No matter your level of ability or prospects of finding another job, stuff like this is disheartening.

If I'm wrong about the ID, I'm betting most of what I said fits anyway. Journalism skills do fit elsewhere.

---
    As for the hours editors work, I won't attempt to speak for all of them. We have a number of editors and I don't work with all of them closely. This I do know: I put in a very full shift as does every editor on my team. And we have a number of site/sport editors who clock big hours. There are some who are on when I check my email in the morning and still on as I finish my shift late at night. I've told some of them: Get offline, we'll handle your stories if any come in. Get some rest. The Athletic isn't perfect, nothing can claim that. But I stand by what I said on the other thread: Even with this latest news it is the best place I've worked and I haven't detected much if any lazy around these parts.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Great responses. Two things:

1) When I was 23, I had a hard time getting a job. The economy was in a bad spot, but I didn't care. All I could think of was my own pain, disappointment and failure. My dad would always say, "This isn't about you, it's about the world." I'd get so annoyed at him, I'd be like, "Fuck off with that shit." But he was right and it is true. You lost your job because of a pandemic. It is not your fault and don't forget that.

2) Whoever suggested exercise is so right. Make sure you get 30 good minutes a day. It will help you so much.

All the best.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

What to do? You put on your big-boy pants or big-girl pants and move forward. Do something. Anything. (Unless you have a trust fund and can coast financially.) And while you're at it, don't crap on the people who install home security systems or other manual labor jobs. They might teach you things about life that you didn't know. Also, those job might even pay more than journalism. Get some money in the bank. You don't have to sign a contract for life.

Look, I've faced rejection hundreds of times as a reporter, lost at least 8 jobs, got hiring-freezed out many times since I graduated from college. No one tells you why. Ever. It's like dating. The best answer you'll get is: "It's not you, it's us."

Anyway, you don't have time for a pity party. Don't wallow. Get tough. Get moving.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

A lot of great advice on here already.

I echo the advice to divorce yourself from the image of being "the sportswriter" and add this advice for your next career choice: don't try to chase a "passion." Don't try to get a job you love; get a job you tolerate. Work 40 hours a week, leave work to those 40 hours, and enjoy the rest of your time.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Baron Scicluna and BrownScribe like this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This is good advice. Everyone needs some time to wallow around in pity and whining. It's human nature. But don't prolong it. Start getting your shit together and get a job doing something, earn some money and get going.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As my dad used to say, "A job is something you do so you can do what you really want the rest of the time." And I could be wrong, but I disagree.

You're going to face stress and unpleasant tasks no matter what you do. If you're working in something which strikes a passion in you, it feels more like a minor annoyance in the middle of a good thing. If you're working at a job you just tolerate, the stresses will drive you under your desk.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Well, maybe this isn’t the best advice, but if you got decent severance pay, take time off. Take a vacation.

This has happened to me before, multiple times. You can do anything, but decide what’s important to you. Not in a career, but in life. If you’ve ever wanted to climb a mountain, do it. Want to try surfing? Go for it.

Those who’ve said to stop defining yourself as a “sportswriter” are 100 pct correct. This job is no different than any other. Life is more important.

Tweener, SFIND and PaperDoll like this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

I have enjoyed reading a lot of great advice on this thread. I am trying to prepare for a career change while I'm still in a sports reporter job that is supposed to be the first stepping stone. I know I do great work here, but it clearly is not gonna go anywhere and I'm tired of living in a town I have no purpose of being in other than for this job.

I am working on applying for grad school but without much direction on what I really want from it, then not sure I wanna pay those loans.

One thing that I think the original poster might be looking for, and that I have struggled to find even when reading posts like these, is "Where do you ACTUALLY look for different jobs?" I have tried Indeed, Zip Recruiter, etc., all those garbage job boards that have the same listings everyone looks at. I have only managed to get inquiries from those predatory pyramid scheme things.

If I want to get a college asst. SID job or pro media relations job, where do I look (other than TeamWorkOnline, which I have applied to many many jobs on and never heard back)? Do those jobs not exist anymore either? What about corporate comms, PR, media relations, tech writing? Are they all on the same job boards that everyone in the world already looks at? It is getting tough to figure out what I am doing wrong in trying to find a different place to work or move, which makes me and probably many others think we don't have any marketable skills.

I am 25 and don't have many connections. The ones I do have are not (yet) those super strong bonds that develop over long periods of time. I moved far away after college and don't have really any established connections outside of this fucked industry I am in.

Draft saved Draft deleted