1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to go to Wrigley Field.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well, considering ESPN cums all over itself when the Yankees-Mets try to play a day-night doubleheader at seperate parks, and the Cubs and Sox play each other each year with interleague play, it's not that hard to figure out. How you can't figure it out is beyond me.

2. boots

boots New Member

Well I might be wrong but I don't think there are any interleague games in April.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You should be more clear.

4. boots

boots New Member

How can you get confused by my post? Explain it to me like I'm a four year-old. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but I don't see how you were confused.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If these fuckers don't get their acts together soon the scalpers will be giving away tickets for that Nats series.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Come on. We all know that they won't get their act together ... and that it won't change attendance one damn bit.

7. Rambler

Rambler Member

There are some serious tools on this site. Some claim to be journalists.

First off, no bullet holes were found in the seats when they were building new Comiskey Park. A local radio guy, Jonathan Brandmeier, joked about it on the air and it became legend. But keep throwing it out there like it's fact.

Second, a guy was shot and killed outside Wrigley an hour after a game a few years back but Cubs fans fail to remember that when comparing the ballparks. It can happen anywhere. It's not a bad neighborhood but there are bad people everywhere in this world. And there really isn't a bad neighborhood outside U.S. Cellular--they knocked everything down when they put in the new park.

Third, jumping out of the stands and attacking Tom Gamboa was horrifying to White Sox fans. It's not indicative of Sox fans--just an idiot and his son. Incidentally, Ligue (the mope who came onto the field) was at the Cubs game earlier that day and was completing the rare double-header.
    And I was at a game at Wrigley a few years back when some drugged-out guy ambled onto the field and went to the pitcher's mound as an Astros pitcher was warming up. They guy was wearing only jean shorts and dropped them and stood naked on the field and flipped off the crowd. They dragged him out through the crowd naked. Again, it can happen anywhere.

Last, I did the double-header last Tuesday. Froze through 14 innings at Wrigley and then took the El down to U.S. Celluar and saw the Sox get drilled by Texas 8-1--the night before Buehrle's no-hitter. Can't believe I missed it by one day.
    Anyway, as I was on the El heading to the second game I was thinking to myself how cool and unique it is to see two major-league baseball games at two different parks on the same day.

By the way, go to Wrigley. Buy tickets outside. I went yesterday (this Sox fan goes to Wrigley because I love seeing baseball--even if it's the Cubs) and as you walk down Clark there are people selling tickets everywhere. And this was against their rivals, the Cardinals. There are places on Clark (and Addison) where they sell tickets the Cubs have supplied them (hello, Greg Couch--isn't it time for another shot at the Tribune for allowing this? It's been almost a month since you used this tired subject for a column). If you're on a trip into town with your wife, splurge and pay more than face to get in. On a beautiful day it's like stepping back into history.
    Bleachers would be the best.

Have fun.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It ain't tired. Cub management is comprised of epic simpleton whores, and has been, for years. Thank God the team's about to be pried out of their palsied hands.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even though I'm making a first Wrigley trip, I'm all for the Cubs sucking. Piniella could be completely batshit crazy by mid-June with this underachieving bunch, so maybe he'll toss a base while I'm in the house.

10. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Wrigley, in my opinion, is very, very overrated. However it is worth the experience. I recommend buying tickets before the season starts and getting bleacher seats on a "value" day. I sat in the bleachers on a sunny April day for $15 last year. Those tickets will run $40 during the season.

Ebay has always been good to me. Never tried StubHub. The program venders along Waveland and Sheffield are also scalpers. I have to disagree with the poster that said there's no bad seat in Wrigley Field... there's plenty of bad seats in Wrigley Field, however all of them are close enough to the action that you don't feel like you need binoculars to know what's going on.

Don't park around Wrigley. Do some research and find a lot near an El-stop and park there for $2.

I will also join the other posters in saying that the Cell is a decent park. I enjoyed it even before they made the changes a few years ago. It always had better food and Miller Lite is much better than Bud. Sure, there are the annoying amenities of new parks, but anyone that thinks that Wrigley is more about baseball has never had a 28-year-old stockbroker spill his pink-Cubs hat wearing girlfriend's margarita on your back so he can answer his cell phone for the fifth time in the last inning.

Also, if you really want to pull off the doubleheader, you have a better chance of combining Miller Park in Milwaukee and the Cell.

As for Fenway, if you are over 6 feet and 200 pounds, good luck fitting into the seats. However, there is plenty of standing room and the area around it, I think, is much better than Wrigley in terms of a post-game drink. Yankee Stadium is my favorite of the three, just because of the history and Monument Park.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not only don't park around Wrigley but don't rent a car when you're in Chicago. If you're planning on staying in the city, book a hotel somewhere off of Michigan Avenue up near the Hancock building. You can hop the Red line to the park and there are dozens of great restaurants in the area. Or you can hop a cab if you want to go somewhere else.

12. joe

joe Active Member

Been to Wrigley seven or eight times and only paid to park one time. If you don't mind walking a mile or so, park on Addison and hoof it to the park. You don't have to deal with the crowds trying to get out of the lots when the game ends, and it's only a few miles back to the interstate.
    There are scalpers everywhere with plenty of good tickets, even for the Cardinals. The Nats? No problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted