1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to go to Wrigley Field.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agree to disagree.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I agree.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I had goosebumps when I pulled up on the El's Red Line. I couldn't wait to get off that fucking train and party! Man, Wrigley is still my fav. oldie but goody and I've been to Fenway and Tiger Stadium. I must go to Yankee Stadium this summer!

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Hoping to get to Fenway this summer. That's the one ballpark I feel like I must get to.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I am making it a point to see a bunch of new stadiums, but the three classics are musts for me: Wrigley, Yankee Stadium and Fenway. I've only been to Wrigley, though I'm seeing Yankee Stadium in July.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If I used quotes for sigs, I'd use this ... and I can't stand the Cubs anymore than I can the White Sox.

7. boots

boots New Member

No Chicago trip is complete without experiencing a double dip, the Cubs in the day, the White Sox at night. Chicago is still a good place to get that ass kicked but I have to admit, security around both ball parks has improved a lot.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I went to the Cell in its first year (when it was still "New Comiskey"), sat in the last row of the upper deck behind the plate. That was the steepest upper deck I've ever been in, it was downright scary.

I'm doing Wrigley for the first time with my Dad and brother in June. We got tickets the first day they went on sale through ticketmaster, I sat with my phone in one hand and the laptop in the other, constantly redialing/refreshing. After an hour I miraculously got through. What a pain in the ass.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Nothing's gonna happen to you around Wrigley, unless you steal someone's Zima, and nothing's gonna happen to you around Comiskey as long as you're part of the masses. If you decide to hang around after the crowds are gone, however, you might be in trouble.

The upper deck in Comsikey does kinda suck. But the fan deck behind center field makes up for it.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

The upper deck at the Cell is a clean shot from the housing projects across the expressway.

I'm just sayin'.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Agreed. It felt like I was climbing a ladder, not steps.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wrigley (and Fenway, for that matter) were two of the more uncomfortable parks I've ever watched a game at, although that was more than a decade ago so maybe there have been changes. It's just so damn small. Seats were too small, even. (At Fenway, some seats aren't even facing the right direction.) The pole wasn't in the way, per se, but it was there, and hard to ignore. ... I don't buy beer at ballparks, so that's not a consideration. ... Obviously, the neighborhood is fantastic, although I wasn't old enough then to bar-hop afterward.

That said, it IS Wrigley Field. It's beautiful, and historic. You've got to hit it at least once in your life. You won't regret it.

Draft saved Draft deleted