1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want the Red Zone/Sunday ticket for free on Direct TV. Please help me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 24, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you know someone at a four-year school, use their birthdate to sign up for an Internet-only Sunday Ticket for $99.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's a negative. I just called them, got to the retention department and told them my wife wants to cut the cord but I don't want to, and asked if I was eligible for any promotions. Was very polite in asking and they offered right out of the gate ...

$20 off my bill per month for a year
    Free Showtime channels for 4 months
    Sunday Ticket and Red Zone free for 2015

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Are you still on contract? Did you have to agree to a new contract?

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not on contract, and had to agree to enter a 12 month contract, with only a $10 per month buyout

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't know how well I scored but...

Monday night, a representative from DirecTV called to give me the "loyal customer" speech and offered to turn on the Showtime package for free for three months. Every other time that I've gotten one of these free trials, I ended up calling at the end of three months to make sure I cancelled before I was billed because I just don't have the budget for it. I probably wouldn't still have Sunday Ticket if my roommate wasn't paying half theDirecTV bill. I wanted to ask her to not activate it but she's so into the sales pitch that I can't say anything without shouting at her to make her stop. And even then, she was more concerned about reading her script than fulfilling my request.

The feeling that she did not care about what I wanted angered me. I told her that I didn't want it and hung up. Yesterday, I called to complain saying that I felt like I was being ignored and that if she had listened to me I wouldn't be upset or maybe she would even had had a chance to give me something I wanted. After profuse apologies, I ended up with a $15 discount on my bill for the next 6 months, and upgrade to the ST Max package (Red Zone, the fantasy football channel and the ability to watch games on computers and smartphones), which is normally an extra $7. I've been also placed on a "No-call list" where supposedly they will no longer call me.

As far as Sirius goes, I once bought an older model radio on Ebay for parts but it turned out it was still active. I called in and it turned out whoever owned it before bought a lifetime subscription, which is for the lifetime of the radio. So it's going to be active until either it or Sirius goes kaput, whichever comes first. So I deactivated the other radio and now I have free Sirius for life. The only limitation is that because it's an older radio, it can only play 120 channels and I think they're going to be moving NFL play-by-play to channels this unit won't receive. On the other hand, it's free Sirius forever and it sure comes in handy when one is out in Western Kansas and you're picking up three stations that play the same satellite format.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I didn't do as well as burnswhenipee, but I got half off the Sunday ticket max, and four months free Showtime.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Can you access Sirius streaming? I had a rental car with Sirius recently and there were a lot of ads about streaming.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Streaming I believe is an extra and it goes to a mobile device app. They might have an internet radio, I don't know. I think it's $4 a month. I thought about it once because they offered a free trial for a month and I like the service and different station options even outside my car, but in the end I haven't gotten it because there are enough streaming options that don't cost I can get by.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No. I don't have an account any more and I don't know who used to have the account the radio is associated with. Whoever bought it and activated it originally is going to be the account that has access to things like that. If he no longer has his own account, then this radio I have is in some sort of SiriusXM Limbo, always active but unattached to an account.

Draft saved Draft deleted