1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want the Red Zone/Sunday ticket for free on Direct TV. Please help me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 24, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly. Give me the best price you can give me and let that be. I'll do the dance and make the call every six months or so to DTV and to Sirius to get the latest offer and some cash knocked off the rate, but it's silly.

That said, I know we've come to the day and age where absolutely everything is negotiable.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been with DirecTV since 1998. So much so I have a package that's no longer even being offered and can't be bundled with my ISP or cellphone provider.

I moved a year ago last March and they gave me Sunday Ticket for free as part of a two-year commitment without charging me to put in the new dish at my place. Got my bill last month and it included an automatic renewal of ST. Um, nope. Canceled it online without issues, but yes, it's an automatic renewal.

Will be interesting to see what happens with DirecTV now that the AT&T sale has gone through.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't even buy a TV at Best Buy without negotiating anymore. You can always get a better deal if you ask.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When we bought a new car a few years ago, it had XM enabled with a 3-month trial. But the trial never expired. So we had it for more than 2 years for free. Then one day, it was gone. I can live without it, but on long drives (2 or 3 a month), Ms. Ragu likes CNN and BBC. Someone told me you can get a 6-month trial for $20-something. So I called and got it. At the end of the 6 months, I called again and took the game of "Let's Make a Deal" to another 6 months for $20-something, and I renewed. That 6 months expired and I called to get rid of it. We barely were listening. They were willing to give me the $20-something for 6 months, though, if I wanted to stay. I didn't bother, though, because we really haven't been listening.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Had the same thing happen at my gym. My rate is $35 a month. They run promotional rates constantly trying to get new customers, and I finally asked why their loyal longtime customers can't get a break now and then. Just checked my bank account, and they gave me the $24.99 promotional rate this month. Small victory, I suppose.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Twice in the last decade or so, I've either let my SiriusXM sub run out or I've called and canceled. Both times, it kept working for months after. Then, suddenly, it was shut off. Pretty pumped for the millions of emails I'm going to get, asking me to rejoin.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I did the same thing at Lowes for a new refrigerator. They dropped $300 off a $2000 model without even blinking.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can't conceive of a refrigerator that I would pay more than $700 for.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hell, that's life.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're the best.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So, when they are charging you $40/month ($240 total), that doesn't even include the Red Zone. That package with the red zone is $360 total.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Funny you mention this. Had a fridge crap out a couple months ago and went shopping.

Third fridge we've bought but the first time we've been making really good money.

After scrounging for the previous $450 models the first two times, I splurged for one. $627 with installation.

Cannot imagine laying out more than $1000 for any refrigerator. Just can't.

Perhaps the benefit of all those years when I was in sports, making nickels.

Draft saved Draft deleted