1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want ESPN to keep ignoring hockey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rick Shanley, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

The NHL might not be mega-popular nationwide, but to say it's not a major sport is ridiculous.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

I agree, it's still a major sport. Teams are selling a bunch of tickets and making money, to me that equals a major sport.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Whoops. Sorry, Rick. Not you. My bad. I quoted the wrong post.

Does anyone find newbie Jim Murray creepy?

4. Garner

Garner Member

He's more than creepy, he's commiting ouright blasphemy with every post. Can't the mods do something about this?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's not a major sport in the context of the NFL, MLB and NBA.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Is hockey a major sport? Depends on your definition.

In the pockets of the U.S. where they ARE drawing 17-20,000 a game, maybe. No, yes.

But what Mr. Rick and others fail to realize is that it's completely off the radar screen in big pockets of the U.S. Much of the Midwest, Southwest and Far West could care less. And you cannot say that about baseball, basketball or football.

Vive la difference.

(And of course, this drives our friends to the north batty.)

7. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

In many/most league cities, especially at playoff time, local tv ratings for the hockey team are comparable to/better than those of the nba team and the mlb team (granted, regular season mlb vs. hockey playoffs). places like detroit, philly, boston and most of the sunbelt cities that have another nearby team. it is a major sport in those places. the problem is the non-franchise cities, and that is never going to be fixed.

8. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Hockey isn't popular in a lot of these areas because, in general, Americans can't relate to what it feels like to actually play the game. For many, it's too hard to play and, for many more, too hard to understand. Most people don't have the attention span to learn the game and appreciate how it's played. That's why those other "major" sports always have been and always will be popular -- they aren't hard to understand and can be easily played in the backyard.

However, it grinds me that many prominent media people simply write off hockey, poke fun at it and basically consider it a cult sport. That's what gives people on this board their talking points -- "Ah, hockey. Who cares?"

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. And you just explained why.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

Actually, the majority of Canadians could care less if Americans like hockey. I don't need the U.S. to like it to make it worthwhile for me.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's your loss.

11. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Hockey is the ultimate spectator sport, nothing beats going to a game and watching the speed, skill, toughness and strategy of the game but for some reason a lot of that doesn't translate to TV, for that reason ESPN isn't interested ... does anyone find it interesting that the MLS will be getting more national TV coverage this sumer than the NHL has this winter ... what the hell is up with that

12. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

Forget MLS. Arena Football will have more national TV coverage than the NHL.

Draft saved Draft deleted