1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want ESPN to keep ignoring hockey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rick Shanley, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

I don't go there for hockey news, either, except to read Buccigross. I guess it would just be nice if ESPN would take some of its energy that it pours into other "sports" and use it on hockey. Although many people will disagree, I think ESPN has a certain duty to accurately cover all major sports, considering it's considered to be the foremost sports media outlet.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is an accurate statement. ESPN is no longer in the hockey business. When it had hockey rights, ESPN shoved it down our throats. Now, I can't even remember the name of cable network (which I don't receive) that televises hockey. Out of sight, out of mind. I'm starting to agree with those who think Stern sent Bettman over to destroy professional hockey.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Unfortunately ESPN instead sees its duty as promoting everything that's part of the Disney family.

4. Jim Murray

Jim Murray New Member

Repeat after me: Hockey isn't a major sport, never was, never will be. I might have written two hockey columns in my day, and I think I was high on typewriter ink. If anything, your little sports network needs to increase its boxing coverage - that's a major sport.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Anyone else find this newbie creepy?

6. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Me? Creepy? How so?

7. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

How can you say that with a straight face? Seriously? I know I've come on here today acting like the keeper of hockey and, therefore, might seem incapable of having a rational discussion about why I might be wrong, but I would seriously like to know how you and others can say hockey is not a major sport. Sorry, but when 17,000-20,000 people consistently show up to most arenas, it's a major sport.

8. Jim Murray

Jim Murray New Member

What about boxing? I'm amazed that a quality professional boxing league, that could consistently throw talented but currently unknown boxers into the ring, hasn't sprung up in the last decade - it would get huge ratings on ESPN, and the boxers would become household names.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Versus (formerly OLN) and HDNet both have rights. Hockey in HD ... f'in' awesome.

Irony: Mark Cuban owns HDNet, while the NBA (via NBATV) is on its competitor INHD.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ye gods, who let all the newbies in?

Boxing hasn't been a major sport since Tyson went to prison.

11. Coffeeman is right. HD hockey is great -- almost like a different game. The only problem is, the league will keep sliding downhill with Bettman in charge before every home in America has HD.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Hockey in HD.
    Reminds me of the line: You can put a bow on a piece of crap...

Draft saved Draft deleted