1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want ESPN to keep ignoring hockey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rick Shanley, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

I’ve changed my tune about ESPN’s lack of NHL coverage.

Instead of complaining about how ESPN never puts NHL stories on the front page of its web site or shows highlights within the first 20 minutes of SportsCenter, I’ve turned over a new leaf.

I love the fact ESPN doesn’t cover hockey.

I love it because hockey is the only sport that hasn’t been devoured by the sanctimonious, eccentric, over-hyped propaganda machine that has become ESPN.

So, memo to ESPN: Keep ignoring hockey.

Don’t assign three reporters and 12 web columnists to break down a meaningless mid-season game (like you do for football); don’t make up some cheesy .com headline that you think is clever (like you do for nearly everything); don’t shorten the names of players or teams or create totally new buzzwords (like you do with everything else); and don’t, for the love of God, allow Stuart Scott anywhere near an NHL highlight.

Just leave hockey alone and let the people who actually know it and love it for its purest qualities enjoy it without being polluted by your disgustingly sensationalized editors and anchors.

Thank you.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

Don't worry, Rick, they will.

3. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Do you think it's a good thing they ignore it, whiskey?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd prefer they tone down the pro basketball coverage myself, but that's just me. I actually like the fact they bring Barry Melrose on set to do a hockey rundown.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Rick, you didn't watch SportsCenter last night. College hockey was made the top 10, twice.

6. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day. But do you mean Top 10 as in the Top 10 Plays? Or were the games shown within the first 10 highlights?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It seems to me they give it the amount of attention it's worthy of. Sorry, Rick. :-\

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Dyepack, is that you?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hey! :mad: I should sue you for that remark! 8)

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'll admit, I felt bad the second I clicked "Post."

Sorry.

11. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Is this reverse psychology? ;)

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Is it a good thing? No. But since ESPN has no coverage of NHL, it will spend its time on stuff it it does cover — MLB, NBA, NCAA football and hoops, etc ... ESPN doesn't need the NHL, the NHL needs ESPN, my friend.

Plus, I never go to ESPN for my hockey news anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted