1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wanna sniff Derek Jeter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes it's true, and headline writers are going to go nuts with that one.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's almost as good as Nutt coaching Dick and Johnson against the Cocks.

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Songbird, this one's for you. Apparently is was sometime during the late 70's or early 80's, and UCLA and Oregon State were in a neck-and-neck race for the Pac-10 basketball title. In what might've been the last regular season game for both teams, OSU came down to Pauley and proceeded to manhandle the bruins for the first 30 or so minutes of the game. But in the last few minutes, UCLA rallied to beat OSU and win the Pac-10 crown. The next day, the Headline in the Daily Bruin was, I shit you not "Beavers Muff Chance to Snatch PAC-10 Lead." The editor was fired that day and apparently copies of that issue were posted on the doors of dorm rooms and apartments for months afterward. Hope you enjoyed that one.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

real men don't wear perfume, er, cologne. 8) 8) 8)

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

At my old paper, there was the apocryphal story -- which I was never able to verify despite searching the archives -- of a prep roundup headlined, "Trojans too deep for Beavers."

Draft saved Draft deleted