1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Used to Write for Sports Illustrated. Now I Deliver Packages for Amazon.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Slacker, Dec 25, 2018.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Your question makes no sense. He got Harbaugh a $40M deal with Michigan.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

When I have to go, I always stop at a McDonald's. Don't have to purchase anything and the bathrooms are usually very clean.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

How does getting Harbaugh a $40 million deal have anything to do with whether or not he's a douche?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Exactly.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’ve missed his writing. I hope he’s cranking out copy again soon.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

OK so you brought it up and then you don't expand on it. How about, is Harbaugh's agent as great a guy as we'd all expect?

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That side door is so clutch. It's almost an invitation to dash in and use the restroom.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Well, Murphy hasn't lost his sense of humor, or his creativity. I felt as though I was in the vehicle with him, making deliveries, but short of holding that empty Gatorade bottle for him.

10. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

It's a good and well-written story, but I cringed at the original premise...that there is anything at all wrong, unsavory, strange or embarrassing about working a normal job like a normal person...As if earning a college degree -- a degree! -- and having worked in journalism should insulate us from those pesky realities of life that mere mortals face.

I've had a nice career in journalism but I've been laid off before and will almost certainly be laid off again one day. In between, I waited tables and if anyone asked I sure as hell didn't tell them I was a consultant for restaurants. (I'm glad Austin ultimately chose the same path).

HanSenSE and Tweener like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard not to think that many of those trees that used to end up as newsprint are now being used for cardboard boxes.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I spent a lot of time volunteering at minor-league hockey games and high school basketball games -- running the register at the concessions and the till for selling tickets. Not "true" volunteering as it's about $23 an hour that goes directly to my kids' high school athletic teams.

The funny part... I love it.

It's mindless work. Once the shift is over, it's over.

It certainly won't pay what my journalism job pays (if I did it for a living) but I find it oddly fulfilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted