1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I thought the Bartman doc was going to be part of 30 for 30

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Definitely, but not on the same planet with the cocksucker Cubs fan who still seemed proud of the fact he tried to start shit with Bartman during the game.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think Bartman made a mistake or did anything wrong. There was a foul ball and he went for it just like everyone else would do. It's difficult (for me anyway) to determine just where the ball was in relation to stands/playing area. For the Cubs, Bartman, every other fan in the immediate area, fate was determined by a slight gust of wind and the Cubs fans had to have somebody to blame so it might as well be the dorky guy with the glasses and headphones.

I wonder how differently it would have turned out if he would have not just sat there like a bump on a long or did an interview the next day. Neither helped his cause.

I'm pretty sure I would have cashed in if I had been him. I don't know about doing a commercial to make fun of the situation, but if someone offered you life changing money to do a straight forward interview/story, I'm pretty sure I would agree.

As for him not using credit cards with his name on it, etc., Chicago is a big place and pretty much no one who doesn't know him couldn't pick him out of a lineup. Go have your named legally changed to Bart Stevens or something and you fade into the crowd.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yes. Before all this happened, Bartman WANTED to be on TV. He's not a recluse by nature. After seeing that, I'm realizing he's not the guy we have collectively made him out to be in our minds. I do think Gibney should have played it up more.

One of the biggest questions for me: WHERE WERE THE FRIENDS? Bartman came to the game with 2 friends, one of them possibly a girlfriend. You can clearly see them. Then they jump ship! They leave him to sit there! He has to go to the security guard's apartment to hide out. WHERE WERE THE FRIENDS? Where are they now? What were they thinking? Geez!

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is a great question. I think they mentioned it was a friend and the friend's girlfriend. Perhaps they are part of the inner circle who don't talk.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I always hate the "Anyone would have done it" argument. A lot of people would have done it. Some other people are the kind of nerds who would explain to their wives before the game that sitting near the rail means you have a responsibility to let your team make the catch and try to interfere with the other team's fielders, as I did at a game at Wrigley a few years before all this. I don't blame him for reaching for the foul ball, but there are those of us out there who are lame enough to have thought it through ahead of time.

Also, fuck Dusty Baker, fuck Alex Gonzalez, fuck the Marlins, fuck Dusty Baker, fuck Kyle Farnsworth, fuck Derrek Lee, and fuck Dusty Baker.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was mentioned, very early on, how virtually everyone ignored Stanley and immediately focused on Buckner. Just like everyone ignored Alex Gonzalez and focused on Bartman.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We live in an age where you are corrected if you say that OJ killed two people, you will be corrected immediately:

"*Allegedly* killed two people!"

Same with Casey Anthony.

Yet Bob Costas and others on the show unequivocally states that Bartman made a mistake.

Really? Has it been proven that the ball was in the field of play? Did the ump call fan interference?

We have qualifiers and weasel words for all kinds of malfeasances in the world... yet we are sure this guy absolutely "made a mistake"?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

From some of the angles, it's pretty clear Bartman's hands (and the other guys, too) were on the field side of the railing when he made contact with the ball. Don't they have a foul line ump during playoff games? He could have easily called fan interference.

It was very well done. I like how they colorized the people they were interviewing while showing video of what happened. The shot where everyone in the area except Alou and Bartman were eliminated make it pretty obvious Alou was going to catch that ball.

And this show illustrated that before his injuries, Mark Prior was unbelievably good. I (and about 50 scouts) saw him from about four feet away warming up in the USC bullpen before his final start prior to the draft. His pitches literally hissed.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Did I mention fuck Dusty Baker?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hate what has happened to the guy, but I do think the Cubs win the game if he doesn't interfere with the ball. (I was there, for whatever that's worth. Absolutely nothing, I suppose, but kind of cool.)

At this point, I think he'd be better off just giving some kind of interview to "Today" or some show like that. The public is completely sympathetic to him by now, even hardcore Cubs fans who have more important enemies like Jim Hendry and Dusty Baker to aim their frustration at, and he could easily make them even more so. I don't think he has anything to lose by just giving an interview.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/09/espn-30-for-30-presents-catching-up-the-bills-oilers-comeback.html

12. Can't wait to see the Boston angle on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted