1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I thought he didn't want to be no pop singer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There are a lot of people unhappy with this commercial. I overheard a couple bitching about it over lunch.

2. Every time you smoke pot - you are funding the terrorists!

If you don't drive a truck - then the terrorists have won!

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
    Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

He's not a Republican. Dan Quayle walked out of one of his concerts recently. Mellencamp was also on that "Vote for Change" tour. He also lectured everybody at a show I saw about raising the minimum wage.

Mellencamp is not a Republican.

And if any teen-age girls bought any of his albums beyond "American Fool," I'd be pretty shocked.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's the top of the line in Utility Sports,
    Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts.

And Mellencamp has been and always will be a hack. And I've been a midwesterner most of my life.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Only because he was told that passing a spelling test was a prerequisite for attending the concert.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You guys could not be more wrong about Mellencamp's music. Seriously. But whatever helps you feel smart, I guess. I'm going to drop it now. I've made by defense.

7. Seger's Like a Rock was a hit before it was taken for the commercial.

Mellencamp's song was released at the same time as the commercial. Coupled with the fact that he took a shot at Seger in Pop Singer makes him a bit of a hypocrite.

That said - Rain on the Scarecrow makes me stop what I'm doing every time I hear it (unless I'm driving or having sex)

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

At least it's an original song, a jingle if you even wanna call it that. Beats the thousand other ads that use a song from the past and call it good.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Here in flyover country, that Rain on the Scarecrow anthem got somewhat repetitive.

And Hank Williams Jr. would never allow this sort of commercial overexposure to occur.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Very repetitive, and that's why Human Wheels is my fav Mellencamp song. Although now that I'm out of flyover country, you hear no Mellencamp and I love Scarecrow again.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He wrote it, he sure in the hell can sell it to whomever he wishes. All he owes us is his best try at good music. He doesn't owe us any nobility.

Draft saved Draft deleted