1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I thought he didn't want to be no pop singer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Not to hijack the thread but it isn't the Republicans who are asking condescending questions like "What's the Matter with Kansas?"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/blog_7_9_04_0723.html

And Fenian is this close to saying that John Cougar is no Neil Young (here comes the 60's soapbox about real artists). For my money - I still like Bob Seger better than Young or Melloncamp.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Screw Jon Stewart. It's a bad joke, much like the shopworn toothless and fucking-your-seester jokes about the South.

I've noticed a general resentment of flyover midwestern states, and that's because there's a perception it's been hijacked and subverted by the religious right. But if you think that people think Illinois and Indiana are scorned upon, you haven't traveled much. Chicago, those hayseeds! Yeah, right.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think that was on "Born to Jog."

4. Darkness on the Edge of the Village?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Look at it this way... Seger was against Chevy using Like A Rock in their commercials. Then he talked to his friends who worked for the Big Three and all of them said something to the effect of "look, man, you don't know how much this will help us". So he did.

JCM isn't the first singer of either side to take advantage of a chance to make a little extra from an endorsement, and he won't be the last.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with JCM selling out. Selling out is a fine tradition among artists.

I do have a problem with using images of Katrina and 9/11 in a spot to sell trucks. Thank God those people died so Chevy could sell a few more Silverados.

7. The commercial was originally written for the Canyonero

8. Greetings From Downtown Piscataway?

9. The Wild, the Innocent and the Lansdown Street Shuffle?

10. Iowa?

11. The Ghost of Tom Jones?

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's not just a truck - it's a gas-guzzler.

It's like they're saying, "Remember when guys crashed planes into our buildings?"

As a consumer, I think: Yes I do. Our reliance on oil had something to do with that.

Remember when gas prices went through the roof because Katrina damaged major pipelines? Our reliance on oil had something to do with that.

Can the higher-ups at Chevy be this dim? I get scared for American business when I see things like this ad. "This is our country" takes on a whole new meaning.

Draft saved Draft deleted